That's right---Another statistic!!! (VBG)

coreena691
on 2/25/11 11:25 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
Some of you already know the news but I'll bring you all up to date on my happenings in my WLS world.

I had VBG in 1991 and lost 90lbs in the first 5 mths.  I kept it off for many years, had a tummy tuck and 2 children.  I started to have trouble with food stuck and discomfort as time went by and leaned more towards easier foods to swallow.  Of course these were the horrid "sliders" that I didn't realize and gained back some weight. 

I started on the losers bench again last Fall and dropped 45lbs with a strict eating plan and good old fashioned exercise. 

All was great but I was still having issues with food getting stuck and sometimes would eat very little due to the discomfort and vomiting I would experience.  I would literally have to make myself sick to "unstuck" the blockage (ok, I know, TMI).  But this was my way of life for the past 19+ yrs, so it became "normal" to me.  That was until Christmas Eve, I had a very bad episode and I think that's when "IT" happened.

I was already scheduled for my upper GI just for a check up, but by mid Jan, I realized something was different.  I wasn't feeling the discomfort.  Crazy!....I was worried that I wasn't having to make my self vomit.  (Hmm...Bulimia?), Nope, but knew something happended inside.

The day of my UGI, the technician asked what to check for and I told him of the latest.  After only 3 swallows, he said he found the problem.......Here it is.....wait for it.....Staples came UNDONE!!!

Ummhmm, just like the other 90% that had mechanical failure.  I wasn't upset, acutally I was releived, I found out early in the game, and at least I knew I have to be careful for amounts eaten because I won't have as much restriction.  ...and truth be told, some days, I think I have a bottomless pit inside.  But I am trying to stick to my regular diet just to be safe.

I already have an appointment to go see my old surgeon (Dr. MacDonald--yes, he's still alive!) next Thursday (March 3rd).  I am preparing for the most likely response, that not only do I need a "fixer-upper", but he'll probably have to do a revision to Gastric Bypass (RNY).  (I know I'm pushing it here, but hope he can give a little extra tuck on the stomach on his way out with stitching me up after the surgery).  LOL 

So I am okay with this.  It's like stage 3 (remember I had the tummy tuck too), of my WLS journey.  And am looking forward to the days of eating a little more normal, being able to finally tolerate dense protein and eat fruits & veggies AGAIN!!!  I was so limited before, and I've done a lot of research about this type of revision and discovered it is BETTER!  

I will keep everyone up to date on my next steps, when I'll be having surgery and the post-op days....yep, here I go again with the crazy liquid days and learning how to eat again.  But I can't wait.  I've been playing with the same 5lbs since Christmas time, and can't wait to jump past this with a new start on life!  I don't expect to lose drastically (it's 2nd time around with surgery) but 4th time around trying to lose a good amount of weight.  I'm currently at 197lbs, and hope get re-united with my GOAL in the near future!!!   Oh how I miss my Goal days!!!

Saving the best for last, I am very glad we have our Owlss Support group meetings and have met others with WLS, I dont' have to go through this alone, there are other members who have been where I am and had a revision with great results.  And I am forever grateful for their support and sharing their experiences with me.  

Thanks for reading and don't hesitate to ask questions. 

Cheers,
Coreena

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

A in NS
on 2/26/11 1:37 am
I'm so glad they will be able to fix everything up for you (hopefully including a little tuck while they're in there!)  I love the support group meetings too - It's so great to be able to talk to others who are on the same path - it's soooo helpful!  I wish more people would make it out to the meetings - there are so many on here I would like to say hello to in person!!  :))

Weight lost since surgery:

sussmack2004
on 3/6/11 10:25 am
Coreena,
It must be a great feeling to know that they have found what is wrong and you can get on with life and losing when they fix the problem

Hopefully it will be no time at all to get you all fixed up and back on the losing track

You have done fabulous over the years by the sounds of things and mostly on your own. This forum is fabulous. I really do hope that one of these days soon, I will be able to make it to a support group meeting. I work out of town 3 days a week, so it just depends on my schedule but I will keep an eye open for when the next meeting is and try to get there.

Take care of yourself and good luck,
Susan
WantingSlim
on 3/25/11 10:34 pm
 It must be fantastic to know what whas causing all the problems over the years, I know I would feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.  Thanks for sharing and good luck on your journey.
coreena691
on 3/26/11 2:53 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Thank you for your kind words WantingSlim!  It does feel better not having that discomfot anymore. 
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

Most Active