13 Weeks Out!!

DaniDragonfly
on 2/13/11 10:30 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
13 Weeks Out!!   So ... I thought I would do an update post, too ... since Angie's posts always do so much for my level of inspiration ... I guess I am a joiner.   I did not keep track of how much I lost in each month. I can say that as of Sunday morning, I was down 71 lbs ... even if my stupid widget hasn't updated properly as yet.   This has been quite a ride, I must say. I went from borderline psychotic impatience leading up to my surgery date, to abject fear the day before and day of surgery, to misery, doubt and regret after the fact (for about a week), to tentative hope after my first weigh in, to excitement at the results and eventually back to psychotic impatience at the speed of which the scale co-operates. My brain scares me sometimes.   I have behaved somewhat like a spoiled child with some aspects of this journey. I have such a difficult time with writing down my daily food intake. I hate it on a level that borders obsession. I can tell you that it is very unusual for me to eat or drink something that is "off plan" or "bad" per se. I did have a 'cheat' weekend - or, I guess really it was just a day this weekend. I had wine ... and multigrain nachos and salsa on Saturday night. (But the wine went a long way to helping me burn off any extra calories and/or fat before the end of the night with hubs )   I have also discovered that exercising is not fun. Even when you have already lost a lot of weight ... even when you go so far as to have 80 (or more) percent of your stomach cut out ... you do not magically wake up the next day with the overwhelming desire to jump on a treadmill, or go to a gym, or even take the dog for a walk. It.Is.Work ... Every.Time! I hate it ... and I struggle with it, every day. I made a deal with myself last week that I would spend 1/2 hour on my treadmill every day for 30 days. I did it Monday and Tuesday and by Wednesday, I was so sore, I just couldn't face it (I had spent four hours swimming in a pool with my kids on the previous Saturday, so every muscle in my body was sore from that) ... so I missed Wed, Thurs and Friday ... then Saturday, I worked in the house like an animal ... and Saturday night ... well ... see above ... and by yesterday, I was so sore again that I skipped last night, too (though we had planned another swimming trip and ran out of time).   The next person that insinuates (even if it is imagined on my part) that this was "the easy way out of my problem" is getting a smack in the mouth ... or possibly lower, depending. I won't minimize the tool that this surgery provides. It is amazing ... but you are kidding yourself if you think for a second that you will not have to work hard to be successful.   I can say now, when being completely honest with myself, that I may have been under the impression that this would come more easily than it does. Not that I am not losing weight ... I continue to do so, but every morning I have to reprogram my inner self... and every afternoon and night ... every time I plan my next meal ... every evening after dinner ... the things that have contributed to my weight gain are all running in the background of the weight loss ... just like viruses on your computer ... they are there ... quietly doing the same damage they started 18 years ago. Every time I step on the scale and it defines my mood, energy and overall commitment to these changes. Every time I see myself in the mirror, and the changes are STILL not fast enough, or good enough ... or when people don't notice I've dropped so much weight ... or, worse, still ... they DO and then ask me what I am doing, and I freeze.   But I AM committed to this. I have a remarkable tool to help me succeed. I am getting closer every day ... and as I make my way through this life altering experience, I am feeling better ... looking better and with a whole lot more work, I will actually BE better.   For those of you just beginning this journey, I wish you strength, love and joy .... because they are what will make you successful, luck has nothing to do with it.

A in NS
on 2/14/11 5:22 am
Wow, Dani, first just let me say you are great with words!  What you said was very poetic for me!  It's funny we all seem to have the same experiences, and you summed it up very well when you said 'every morning I have to reprogram my inner self' That is SO true - and the number on the scales determining your mood for the day...  Very well said! 

71 lbs in 13 weeks is OUTSTANDING!!  It took me months to get there - You are doing FANTASTIC girl!!  :))  Keep it up and don't be shy with sharing your secrets!!  lol  

Weight lost since surgery:

ruthann49
on 2/14/11 5:39 am - Canada
Dani I love your honesty, it's so important to hear the negative as well as the positive!  You are doing great We're all here for support!

Andrea S.
on 2/14/11 9:07 am - New Waterford, Canada
Very beautifully said! Your honesty is profound!!! I am looking forward to getting on this journey with you! I am also terrified of the trip, for all of the resaons you have mentioned.

You are doing an amazing job, thank you for your inspiration! i

Andrea
 Angie from the Cape!
KDorey
on 2/15/11 4:21 am - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85
Dani, I had my surgery in 1985 and hated exercising.  It wasn't until 1997 that I decided I wanted to get rid of the rest of my weight and started with Richard Simmons videos - I know he is hard to take but having large women in doing the exercises helped my mind set.  I eventually bought a treadmill and wherever it has been moved is ok with me as long as the control from my gameboy reach it - I play Tetus II while I walk.  Since I walk at 5:30am it is hard to play music or watch a movie without waking up the rest of the household.  I also have free weights, walking videos (Leslie Sansome) and an exercise ball - and am constantly changing up my routine.  Boredom does not help to keep on track. 

I also have to agree with your statement about this being "an easy way out of my problem" - it only it was easy.  Everyday you deal with what to eat and what not to eat - what will work and what won't.  You have the right attitude - this was a tool to get you started.  After 26 years, and 4 children I am finally where I want to be and I am able to maintain my current weight without too much work.  Keep the faith - keep changing your types of exercise and you will find something that you enjoy doing and works for you at the sametime.

Congrats on the 71lbs.

FancyRoses
on 2/15/11 7:59 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
THANK YOU you summed it up just about how most of us feel from the start to how we will feel when we reach our little milestones. Congrats for you all being so brave. Awesome work and I cant wait to see before and after pics of everyone.  all the best. 
My goals to a healthy me            
CaperGal
on 2/14/11 4:32 am, edited 2/14/11 10:43 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Most Active