Plastic surgery anyone?

Autumn_39
on 2/5/11 11:23 pm - Canada
Hi Everyone,

After the major weight loss you are left with sagging skin which can sometimes be worse than the fat and you are still prevented from wearing certain fashions.

Has anyone had to resort to plastic surgery after a huge weight loss? What procedures have you had done or are you still considering?
KDorey
on 2/9/11 12:26 am - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85
In Feb of 2005 I had a tummy tuck (incision from one hip across the lower stomach to the other hip).  It removed 4.5lbs of excess skin.  I had a plastic surgeon from the South Shore Regional Hospital in Bridgewater perform the surgery - very pleased with the results.  After loosing 90 lbs (at that time - have lost another 20 since) and having 4 full term pregnancies - the skin on my stomach was nevery going to go away.  There was not a pair of pants on this earth that fit properly with all that excess skin.

I had to pay for the surgery but would do it again in a heart beat.  Good luck with you decision.

A in NS
on 2/10/11 5:38 am
If you don't mind my asking, how much was it out of pocket?

Weight lost since surgery:

KDorey
on 2/10/11 6:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85
First let me explain that when I had my surgery in 1985 (yes 26 years ago) that the surgery and the tummy tuck, arms, etc. were all covered under MSI.  Well, I am sure you are aware it is no longer covered.  This stopped in 1996 - I had my fourth child in Oct of 96 - one does not have a tummy tuck when one is still producing children, so I missed out on the freebee. 

My plastic surgeron was able to get MSI to cover 1/2 of the costs - I had to pay $4,000.  Not sure if you are aware that there is a type of "credit card" for medical procedures and that is how I paid for it - on a monthly basis just like a loan.

Good luck

A in NS
on 2/10/11 9:18 pm
Great info - thanks so much for sharing!  :)

Weight lost since surgery:

coreena691
on 2/12/11 1:15 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
I had my Tummy tuck BEFORE I even started producing children. 
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

coreena691
on 2/12/11 1:13 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Some members on here already know, I had a full Fleur-De-Lys  (anchor incision) Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) in 1993.  A year & half after my Gastroplasty.  I lost 90lbs and needed to have some reconstruction on my upper & lower body for excessive loose skin. 

For me it was fully covered by MSI.  I started my family with 1st child in 1995 and 2nd child 1998.  I have always maintained a flat tummy, especially below my waist from the lyposuction done there.  But in my upper abs area I seemed to keep the "fat" from my last child and am most likely going to need a revision, fixer upper since I'm lost weight again and the muscles there will need to be tightened again.  I have never grown back a panni roll below my waist line and to me that was worth all I"ve gone through and did great wonders for my self esteem / body image.  Side profile is FLAT!

In my opinion the tummy tuck was more sore during recovery only because of the very large incision breast bone to pelvic and hip to hip, but would absolutely do it again and again!!  My TT surgery took 6 hours to reconstruct and recovery was about 6 weeks with weekly check ups for fluid draining. 

My surgeon for Gastroplasty did the Tummy Tuck as well.  He did a pretty good job and my scar is very faded (not that it matters and never worry about wearing a bikini anyways). 

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.

I've heard it runs around $10,000 for abdominoplasty at the 2 Plastic surgery clinics in Halifax.

Cheers!
Coreena

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

Most Active