heparin shots??

ruthann49
on 1/30/11 3:11 am - Canada
Hi all,

I go on the Ontario forum alot and they are discussing the heparin shots after surgery Are we required to have these in NS? I'm hoping so since I'm scared to death of having a blood clot. Last year a 40 year old lady died here in Amherst after WLS done by Dr. MacDonald. I believe she died of a blood clot!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 7:09 am - Canada
I never heard anything about having heparin shots.
imaybenuts
on 1/30/11 8:01 am - Canada
there was more to it...then the blod clot.... and to my knowlege it was done in moncton.... it is a risk with EVERY surgery........dont panic...it will be fine

30 lbs lost pre op

teresa H.
on 1/30/11 8:39 am - halifax, Canada
Hi I had the surgery Nov 7  2001 and Dr MacDonald did mine and I had the heparin shots my surgery was done in halifax I would imagine they still give the heparin shots at other hospitals
Dont be scared it just a risk with any surgery bloodclots  Im sure you could enquire if they will give the heparin shots still Hope this helps Teresa
DaniDragonfly
on 1/31/11 1:03 am - Lockhartville, Canada
I was given Heparin as part of my "after surgery care". Not sure if I would have necessarily known I was given it - except I asked what they were shooting me full of in the recovery room. (This may be different for me as I was actually out 3 times longer than most due to "equipment malfunction" and because I was out for over 4 hours rather than 1.5, I wound up longer in the recovery room, too.

My suggestion would be to ask the nurses when you have the "pre admission interview". The two I met with were pretty on the ball and had answers to pretty well all my Q's.

The one thing I will tell you is this: The Gastric Sleeve surgery takes less than an hour and a half (in most cases) to do from start to finish. What this means is that the blood does not have the time to "pool" that it does when having a more lengthy proceedure. This (all by itself) reduces your risk of blood clots exponentially. (This was an explanation I was given by one of the OR nurses when I was crying like a little girl, just before they put me out).

It is a risk that you must be aware of and consider, for sure ... but it has a very low instance rate. I think the chances of leakage are higher, if I'm not mistaken ... and from what I've read Dr. Ellsmere hasn't killed anyone yet ... and has had only one leak.

All in all, I would say it's much safer to have done than it is to stay fat. <--- I still stand by that opinion.

nannydeb
on 3/17/11 2:48 am - Canada
I just got my approval for surgery and at the appointment in Halifax I was told that I would be given Heperin while in hospital, but nothing about afterwards.  They say the key is to keep moving to prevent clots from forming.

coreena691
on 3/18/11 12:57 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
coreena691
on 3/18/11 12:59 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada
When I met with Dr. MacDonald last week, he spoke about the lady who passed away to tell me the risk of having a revision.  She was in for a revision to RNY.  This type of surgery is always more complicated and lengthy.  Don't take this into consideration or fear for surgery, he told me it was a blood clot, but caused by other complications.  Sadly with all surgery, there is a risk involved.
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

ruthann49
on 1/31/11 6:33 am - Canada
thanks girls I feel better now

Most Active