Where is everyone??

Kat_12
on 1/25/11 9:44 am - Halifax, Canada
Kat_12
on 1/25/11 9:45 am - Halifax, Canada
My surgery was 2 months ago today.  I was on the list for a little over a year, and had NO comorbidities.  Recovery was pretty smooth, no real nausea, was able to get my min water and protein in by 4 days after surgery.  I am sick to death of protein shakes, but it is the easiest breakfast for me, so I do choke them down most days (i am not adventurous with food, so stick to the same one from Costco).  I probably snuck up to the next food level a little early each time, but no issues.  i can tolerate everything so far, but only about 2oz protein at a time.  many a night i measure out the 2oz, with some veg, eat half, then finish the rest a few hours later.  Weight loss?  slow, lol!  but, i have PCOS and was put on throid meds a few weeks after surgery, so i think that will just be my way.  Better than gaining, right?  very worried about the hair loss!!  i have been taking Biotin 2x day for months, hoping to offset the loss with new growth.  So far, not really helping, but you should see my long, strong fingernails, whoohoo!!

ruthann49
on 1/25/11 6:46 pm - Canada
It's so great to hear you are doing well ! It gives me hope that you were only on the list for one year! Keep us posted!

imaybenuts
on 1/25/11 9:35 pm - Canada
i dont believe the wait list is that long anymore!i was on waiting list for dr mcdonald that is now in amherst... then he left no one to take his place then when someone did they didnt contact anyone that was one the list ...pretty much started a new list.me and dr white could not get ahold of anyone down there ...finally did.... after 8 year wait.... and was done within the year.... dont know if it was because of the trouble i went through or because i called often or if i just really needed it done...what ever the reason.and the wait......it was worth it.... and forgot to mention...the protien drinks and powder suck assssssssssssssssssss

30 lbs lost pre op

DaniDragonfly
on 1/26/11 1:06 am - Lockhartville, Canada
I waited 14 months from my referral to surgery. It seemed like 14 years, but really it wasn't all that long.

I am 10 weeks out (yesterday) and overall feel pretty good. I have lost 62 lbs (nothing in the last 8 days ) .

My biggest complaint at this stage is that EVERYTHING that I put into my body causes discomfort. Especially water. I have taken to drinking ho****er just to try and get around the discomfort that cold or cool water brings. I am actually starting to think there may be something not quite right in my new tummy.

I am supposed to see Dr Ellsmere tomorrow afternoon, but with 30 cms of snow forecast for the next 15 - 20 hours ... I am not so sure that's going to happen.

Here's the good, the bad and the ugly from my perspective:
I FREAKING HATE to exercise just for the sake of exercising ... however ... set me loose on my house and I am a new woman. I can move, I can bend, stretch ... my back doesn't hurt, I don't have to stop and rest all the time ... It is WONDERFUL! When I was still off work, I accomplished so many projects around my house, it was awesome!

I always loved my water ... have pretty well always (well, for the past three or so years) consumed almost primarily water (well ... and a coffee in the am ... and some alchy-hol on the weekends) but now ... I can't drink it without major discomfort - this makes getting enough fluid a little *****allenging. Not to mention the fact that I am always thirsty. Coffee is a no no for me ... hurts too much now. I drink a lot of caffiene free green tea (Tetley Mojito is really good). That tends to sooth the beast (my tummy) after a meal if sipped very slowly.

My chief complaint is the disconnection between what my brain and mouth want and what my tummy can handle/body needs. This is hard to wrap your bean around and likely the biggest reason for failure (in the long term). Plus, not being able to have a couple of drinks on a weekend bugs me, but is the price I must pay.

As to the protein shakes ... I still use them for breakfast. It is easy for me to miss brekkie if I don't force something in there and these just seem to be the easiest solution. I do not experience discomfort with these ... so perhaps I am not chewing quite enough ... or something. I usually eat my meals over a min of two 'sittings'. For lunch today, I have chicken breast cut up small and some shredded cheese (low fat) with low fat Helmans on naan crisps. I ate roughly 3 TBSPs and am so full, I want to cry. But in two hours, I'll be famished again and likely have a little more.

You have to get really in tune with your system. I think that has been the most important lesson for me.

kimberleyann
on 1/26/11 1:16 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
great info, thanks for sharing.

Most Active