Question regarding a surgeon

CozyMommaOf2
on 1/14/11 2:17 am - Bridgewater, Canada
I have just decided that I am going to look into lapband surgery. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a name and a phone number of a doctor that I would be able to call.

Also, does insurance ever cover part of the cost? I'm just asking because my husband has Blue Cross, and I do have a history of Diabetes in my family, and have already got some of the warning signs. I am actually on medication to help keep my blood sugar levels where they should be.

Thanks to anyone who can help send me in the right direction.

Tammy
CaperGal
on 1/14/11 9:08 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Well I think that the sleeve is the only one that they are doing in Halifax. MSI covers the operation. Is there a reason you are checking out the lap band? Your Doctor sends in the request for the surgery and than you go on a waitig list. Doctor Ellsmere said that after surgery my diabetes will be all but gone and that is a plus for me cos I am on 4 needles and 4 pills a day. I don't know if that helps but you can read all the other posts and get a lot of information from them.
MargeD
on 1/14/11 7:02 pm
Hi Tammy,
I had the VS on Nov 9th.   I was taking 36 units of Novarapid insulin with each meal and 104 units of Levemir insulin at night.   Now I'm not taking any insulin during the day and only take 30 units at night and I think that will soon be reduced.   My blood sugars in the morning are below 6 most days.  It will certainly help you get control over your diabetes.    Good luck in whatever you do!!!    Take care, Marge
A in NS
on 1/15/11 7:29 am
OMG Marge, that's AMAZING!!!  Jeff said you looked awesome but you must feel so much better not having to take so much insulin!  Congrats on your hard work!!

Weight lost since surgery:

imaybenuts
on 1/16/11 12:13 am - Canada
look on the new b forum... bet they have all the info there... there is a dr in moncton... good luck

30 lbs lost pre op

paramedic
on 2/26/11 10:25 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi there Nova Scotia doesn't do the lap band procedure. NB does. MSI covers the hospital stay and DR's appointments but you have to pay for the band. That can cost you about 4-6000 dollars. NB has a 2+ year waiting list.
If you can afford the band from ONT or QUE you can pick when you want it.  MSI will not cover the procedure because most of the doc's does their surgery in a clinic. But you can claim all of your expenses in your income tax.
I have the band and it was the best gift I could give to myself. I had mine done in Missisauga ON The Dr was Chris Colburn he is wonderful.
Hope this helps
Laurie
Most Active