Can someone help me??

beckymay26
on 11/29/10 10:48 pm - Canada
I am new to this board, I had gastric bypass in Sept 2001 and I have since started putting all my weight back on I am at a loss I have no idea what to do ...I had my surgery in Ontario and I know I need to see a doctor that does it is Nova Scotia ,can someone please tell me the names of the doctors that do the surgery in Nova Scotia , I am thnking I might have to have a scope to make sure everything is ok but my family doctor wont even order it because he knows nothing about the surgery any help will be greatly apperciated!! thanks
A in NS
on 11/29/10 11:11 pm

Hi Becky, 

I understand that it's a big problem here to find a Dr. who will follow you if you've had your surgery done elsewhere - but I really don't understand why your family doc wouldn't order a scope for you - maybe you need to find a new family doc who is willing to learn a little more...  My family doc doesn't have a lot of wls patients, but he has been very patient with us and seems more than willing to learn to help me out...  

Dr. Ellsmere is the surgeon here who does wls but I don't think he will follow patients if he didn't do their surgery - but I know there are others in the same boat - maybe they can shed some more light for you.

Welcome to the board!  It's a great place to ask questions & get info...  You might want to check with the gastric bypass forums too (here on OH) to see if they can offer some advice that we might not be able to (a lot of us are VSG patients)  I can't imagine there is too much of a difference though  :))

Weight lost since surgery:

A in NS
on 11/29/10 11:13 pm
BTW, there are support groups in both Halifax & Truro and you are more than welcome to attend either if you like  :)

Weight lost since surgery:

coreena691
on 11/30/10 1:36 am, edited 11/30/10 1:46 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Hi Becky,

I understand how you feel, I had my surgery i***** and gained some weight back too.  My procedure was stomach stapling.  I have done a lot of research on why there is such a high percentage of WLS patients regaining, and came to the conclusion that we need ongoing education and support for the changes we make with our bodies after we initially lose the weight.

I want you to know there is help and you can relose the weight, be it learning how to re-use your tool or you may need a revision if there is something wrong inside.  But the good news is you don't have to do this alone. 

I started up a local support group in Halifax called Owlss (Obesity Weight Loss Surgery Support) and we have a good turnout with members of all different stages and procedures, some new to surgery and others that have also regained some or all their weight.  You are welcome to join us on December 13th 7-9 pm at the Sackville Sobeys community room for our next monthly meeting.  You can join our Facebook group at:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=320715564655

I am also in the process of waiting on a referral for Dr. Ellesmere to have a look/scope.  I am not his patient, but my original surgeon Dr. MacDonald just went on vacation until March and I should have this looked at sooner. (I have food stuck issues).  I will keep you updated as I'm also curious to know whether I will get into see him or will they not consider outside patients. 

In the meanwhile, like Angie said, have a look around the OH site and other forums, for Gastric Bypass, Graduates & Revisions, you may find some helpful info in there as well.

Have you had a chance to read about the 5-day pouch test for us graduates who've been out from surgery for so long and need a refresher course to help us get back on track??  I did the test a couple months ago, and it was extremely helpful to relearn using my tool, get away from slider/easy foods and recogonize the signals of satiety again. 
It's helped me to re-lose 36lbs since the end of August. 

Here's the link, if you have any questions, let me know. 
5daypouchtest.com/

Take care,
Coreena xo

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

Most Active