confused

dasherT
on 10/29/10 12:17 pm - Stewiacke, Canada
I am trying to make sense of everything I am reading and I was excited just to have had my doctor write a referral but the referral is suppose to be for RNY surgery and I am not seeing anywhere that gastric bypass is actually offered in Nova Scotia, is that correct?

A in NS
on 10/29/10 12:33 pm
The only surgery being offered in NS at this time is the sleeve (VSG) - others are available in NB I believe...

Weight lost since surgery:

Carly ~
on 10/29/10 12:59 pm
Hi Dasher,

The only surgery offered in NS is the VSG, or gastric sleeve.  It's the first half of the DS procedure that is still being done.  There's no re-routing of the intestines, and no malabsorption, with just as good of the results.   So you get the same great results with half the fuss : )

Also, if you taper off a few years down the road, they can do the second half of the procedure, making your sleeve a DS surgery.

Check out the forum for the sleeve!  It's a really successful operation.  I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't been thrilled about their sleeve.  

Hope that helps ease your mind some.
I'm not sure if Dr. B in Moncton does the RNY, but Dr. Savoie doesn't.
dasherT
on 10/29/10 1:46 pm - Stewiacke, Canada
I know the sleeve is an excellent choice there are some great success stories on here but for me the concern is severe IBS and that the swelling from that can actually do damage to the sleeve procedure so it has been highly recommended I have the full bypass. I found a doctor in quebec that does it but thanks for letting me know about Moncton!

Most Active