Call For Apt With Dr.Ellsmere

mlm105
on 10/25/10 7:01 am - Mainland,NS, Canada
Hey Everyone,

I got the call today from Dr.Ellsmeres  receptionist for my appointment date to see him.

She told me to bring my health card, and list of medications.she didn't tell me to bring  my WLS  binder but I am anyway.

She said the appointment  would be about an hour. What all does this entail? I know he goes over my medications I am currently on, check my belly to see if I am ready for surgery and what else ?

I am so worried .I  made it this far. I wonder has anyone been  denied at this point ? I hope not. they said MSI approved me to have the surgery.  :)

Thanks,
Mel
coreena691
on 10/25/10 7:20 am, edited 10/25/10 7:20 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Hi Mel,

I'm an old-timer when it comes to WLS, so I really would have no idea what will be covered at your appointment, ....but I do want to say CONGRATULATIONS on making it this far and not giving up!!! 
VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/10 8:31 am - Canada
You will get weighed and height checked again.
Yes, people can be denied or told to go back and lose more weight.  (not trying to scare you but just telling you the truth).  If your bmi is under 60, you should be fine.

He will have a look at your stomach or at least he did mine. 
And you mostly chat with him. 

You will be fine!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/10 8:31 am - Canada
When is your appointment???
CaperGal
on 10/25/10 11:02 am, edited 10/29/10 9:50 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Glad you got your call. It was quick like mine. So when do you go see him? I will be there on Thursday the 28th. Diane said that I will get my date for surgery then. I just hope that everything goes well here to. I have to go have the darn light up and down tomorrow. What fun eh. lol
mlm105
on 10/25/10 11:09 am - Mainland,NS, Canada
I could of went up  this Thursday but scheduled it for Nov,10 .....

CaperGal- We could of  been there together .LOL

Mel
DaniDragonfly
on 10/25/10 11:54 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
Hey Mel - Congrats!!

My appointment was on the 13th and honestly, I don't know if mine was the same as anyone else's ... but I was a little put off by the whole thing.

First, I waited to see him for an hour and 47 minutes. I had to be weighed out in the waiting area as there was some issue with the rooms available that day (perhaps just bad luck on my part). Then, Dr Ellsmere came in, sat down (keep in mind I was nearly sick to my stomach with worry that I would not pass this final test), wrote a few things on a consent form, handed it to me ... told me this could kill me, but that they haven't had anyone die yet ... laughed and asked me if I was ready for 'this'. I laughed too ( very nervously, mind you) and said ... "uh, I dunno - am I?" to which he replied - "HEY! I'll ask the questions here" <--- I'm sure he was only trying to be funny to allay my fears - maybe I looked particularly scared.

Anyway, he told me to sign the form and he had me stand up so he could palpitated my stomach (while his med student looked at me like I had an extra head growing out of my belly button) and then he left and several minutes later his assistant, Diane came in and we scheduled a date. I think he spent 11 minutes with me and Diane spent another 10. I was there for well over 2 hours though.

To me, it seemed very odd. Not that I would have said poo, had I had a mouth full of it ... but it still sits weird with me. I know everyone loves this man and so long as he does this surgery well and I don't, in fact, become his first fatality, I'll love him too ... because he has the power to give me an amazing tool... but the appointment left me feeling really ... flat. Which is hard to do to a 300 pound woman <-- see, my humor attempt?

Perhaps I just caught him on an off day ... we all have them, I suppose.

I brought my binder with me, but didn't need it ... I read it through twice while I was there and still wished I had brought a book.

Hopefully yours will be a better experience.

Best of luck!

A in NS
on 10/26/10 12:28 am
I've always found Dr. Ellsmere has a pretty good sense of humor - both at my own and my husband's appointments...  I don't think either of us were particularly anxious though.  Anyway, I found he mostly wants to know what meds you are taking, your family history, allergies, etc... if you have any questions he could answer for you..  You will be fine!  We had to wait in the waiting room for a while to see him too. 

Weight lost since surgery:

Kat_12
on 10/26/10 10:16 am - Halifax, Canada
Hi...I am new to this site today!  So happy to see so many of you experiencing the same struggles (stress, excitement, fear etc). 

CaperGirl, I see Dr. Ellsmere on Thursday too.  I am nervous, but really glad to have made it this far in the process.  I am very much hoping for a Nov date!

I hope I don't have the looonngg wait  - my patience level is not that high-I am early in the day, so hopefully he wont' be that backed up yet! 

Anyway, just wanted to say how nice it is to have found this site, and look forward to sharing this journey with all of you!
CaperGal
on 10/29/10 9:50 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
there was a guy there ahead of me. My appointment was at 2:pm what time was yours? When is your surgery?
Most Active