Does anyone know if EI will cover the absense from work for VSG?

DaniDragonfly
on 10/10/10 2:20 am - Lockhartville, Canada
I honestly thought I'd be back to work in 2 weeks post op, but now Diana is saying 4 - 5 weeks. I am wondering if anyone else had to apply for the EI Short Term Disability and if this qualifies?

My siurgical consult is this Wednesday and it looks like surgery could happen quite soon after ... I've been in holding pattern for so long that I just assumed this process would drag on for a while yet.

Guess I'd better get making some arrangements.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

D
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/10 10:59 pm - Canada
What type of work do you do? 
I did take the full 4 weeks off.  I had enough sick leave to be covered.  I know I was lucky. 

Sorry I am no help.  I have a desk job and probably could have returned to work after 2 weeks but I would have been VERY tired.  I liked the extra 2 weeks to do long walks and such. 
Mary C.
on 10/11/10 2:49 am - Glovertown, Canada
It just so happens I can help you out there. Last summer when I ended up sick and had the Petersens Hernia repair - I did not have enough sick leave to cover it because I had used most of it up the previous year when I had my RNY - and on another occasion when I was off work with surgery for a fractured dislocated ankle. Anyway - as long as you have paid in to EI the required amount - which you will have if you have been working full time - you qualify for up to 14 or 16 weeks of unemployment sick benefits. There was paperwork I had to do - I think I did it on computer at the EI office actually - and they required a note from my physician of course. So check it out and look into it. I'm pretty sure you qualify. Good luck!

DaniDragonfly
on 10/11/10 10:23 pm - Lockhartville, Canada
Yes - I have a desk job too.

I also have a boss that is  ... uh ... how shall I say ... challenging?

I cut my maternity leave short by 7 months when I had my daughter (5.5 yrs ago) just so he'd leave me alone at home.

I could actually do my job from home, as I do mortgages for a living and it is all done by inter net and phone. It's just that when I asked Diana, she suggested (strongly) that I should take the full time off ... which would be lovely, don't get me wrong ... but I can't survive on 55% of my income.

So ... if I am hearing you correctly ... I wouldn't be likely to "harm" myself by working from home for the 2nd 2 week period ... right?

I think I'll apply just in case, but maybe aim for that.

Thanks so much, ladies - you've been a big help.
novascotiadawn
on 10/13/10 2:57 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi there,

I applied for medical EI or whatever it is called and was approved...Had gotten the doctors note, but , never did have to produce it.

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Mary C.
on 10/13/10 6:04 am - Glovertown, Canada
D - You should be OK to work from home the second week - especially if it will allow you to work at your own pace and take breaks when you need to. Good luck!

Most Active