New and overwhelmed

twinboysmama
on 8/14/10 11:48 am
Hi everyone! I found this place by browsing the web trying to find out what I can about weight loss surgery in Nova Scotia and boy am  I overwhelmed! I do not even know what my first step should be and where to start?
How do I get started? What are the requirements for surgery, where is it done and what procedures are done in NS? What are the costs or is it covered by msi. Is there a wait list or qualifications and which doctor? So overwhelming......
Thank you in advance!
A in NS
on 8/14/10 12:31 pm
Hi twinboysmama,

You can start with this forum - it's a great source of info & support.  The website for WLS in Halifax is here:  http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage¢er Content.Id.0=61088&category.Categories.1=112

You need to get a referral from your family doc to get on the waiting list - it's not first come, first served, it's based on who needs it the most...  It's done at the VG.  The only WLS performed in NS is the VSG (you can also check out the VSG forum on this site)  The costs are covered by MSI if you are approved (I don't know if anyone has ever been denied but I'm sure someone can tell you).  Dr. Ellsmere performs most of the surgeries that I have heard of but there is another surgeon there as well.

So, the first step is getting a referral to the WLS clinic from your family doc.

Hope this helps & nice to meet you  :)

Weight lost since surgery:

Most Active