Update - One month ago today....

A in NS
on 8/13/10 1:12 am
I got out of surgery with my new best friend - Steve...  Steve the Sleeve, that is!!  lol  So far so good! 
I have lost 28lbs total since surgery & other than being a bit tired still, I'm feeling pretty good!  I got to start mushies & that's going well so far.  I am up to walking 6km most days and up to 10km on really good days.  I had my blood work done for my follow up appointment today, and when I got in there the nurse told me that it would take 10 days to get some of the results back - my appointment is in 5 days so I'm not sure how that is going to work - I wish they had printed that on the blood work req form - I see it is in the binder though, so it's my own fault!  Hopefully they won't get mad and sew my old stomach back in!!!  lmao  This morning is the first time I thought I was going to vomit but I took a Gas-X strip and the feeling passed - I think it's because I took my pills on an empty stomach.  I can't think of much else to include, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Weight lost since surgery:

CaperGal
on 8/13/10 11:53 pm - Sydney Mines, Canada
hello Angie, glad to see you are doing so well. I was just wondering what kind of food you are eating now and how much. Are you a diabetic? If you are how is that going with the meds?
Have a great day.
A in NS
on 8/14/10 12:24 am
Hi CaperGal,

I eat a lot of greek yogurt & cottage cheese.  Since last Tuesday I have been on soft foods, but I can eat so little now (thankfully!!) that I can't get enough protein in through meat & cheese yet, so I have a greek yogurt with milk and fruit blended (with a bit of splenda) and there is about 28g of protein in that and it actually tastes good (I'm so sick of the protein shakes that I'm staying away from them for a while so hopefully I can use them again later on).  Then if I have 1/2 c cottage cheese there is 15g protein in that - then I can usually get the rest in with 'real food' like tuna or a piece of shaved deli meat with a cheese slice + I drink milk @ 9g protein/cup.  I have to really pay attention to make sure I get all of my liquids in though!

I WAS diabetic!  I had lost quite a bit over the last 3 years and had already cut down on the metformin from 850 x2/day to 500 x 2/day before I was close to surgery, then when I went on the liquid diet, I was getting low blood sugars so I stopped taking it altogether before surgery.  Since surgery I haven't needed it either and the last time my blood work was done my A1C was 4.9 - WOOHOO!!!  My blood pressure is much lower now as well so I probably won't be on meds for that much longer.  Now if I could just get rid of the sleep apnea & high cholesterol!!!  I hate that freaking c-pap!!  lol

justsherri65
on 8/14/10 3:47 am - Canada
Hi Angie...I luv the new picture of you and your son..You look fabulous..And welcome to your husband to the baord as well..
I was wondering where you bought that greek yogurt so I could get some.
I'm still doing some vomiting so I am hoping these meds kick in soon and I can get some nutrition in me..
Thanks Angie..
Sherri
A in NS
on 8/14/10 4:40 am, edited 8/14/10 4:41 am
Hi Sherri,

Thanks for the nice compliment!  :)

You can get it at either Superstore or Sobeys now - at Superstore it's with the regular yogurt, and at Sobeys it's in the specialty foods area - $4.89

Did they give you something for nausea, or is it for acid?  They sent me home with lansoprazole 30mg to take twice/day but I didn't need anything for nausea (after what I had in the iv @ hospital anyway)...  Are you getting enough to drink or is it all coming back up?

justsherri65
on 8/15/10 6:33 am - Canada
Hi Angie...Thans for the info..
I haven't vomited in 2 days but its not even nausea..My stomach seems to be full of this aweful tasting acid all the time..I have to be so careful even to burp and to not throw up..
I've been on the PPI for 2 days and see a mild difference,its for acid, but is still there all the time..I go back to Moncton on Tues to get my staples out, so I am going to ask him if I can take it twice a day instead of once..I sure hopes this ends soon...My son moves to University at the end of the month and I am as weak as a dishrag..I think I am getting enough fluids in..Today I mangaed to eat a popsicle and a small amt of mixed fruit baby food..It tasted really good..Anyway, time will tell....Thanks for asking!!
A in NS
on 8/15/10 10:51 am
Hi Sherri,

That sounds awful!  I get a gross taste in my mouth sometimes (not often) if I have eaten one bite too much, but it goes away fairly fast - that would be terrible!  Hopefully they will let you take a second pill or have something to fix the problem.

I wonder if gatorade or pedalite would help you to stay hydrated more easily?

lmk if there is anything I can help you with - I'm just around the corner!  :)

Most Active