finally got the nerve to go to the dr

Dominic E.
on 8/5/10 7:08 am, edited 8/5/10 7:11 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
 Hi all

Only signed up a few days ago and feel inspired and welcomed, I am meeting my family Dr to get the referral part done so that I can finally get the help I need to fight this disease. I have always been large as I look back at all my childhood pictures until now. I have tried a lot of diets, supplements, herbals, exercise, besides losing money a lost a few pounds here and there.  I weighted myself while no one was around an to my horror I was even heavier than I thought, my wife's scale stops at 300lbs, so at work we have a freight scale goes to 500 lbs, the first time I saw my actual weight 397lbs I felt so embarrassed and mad at myself for this happening to me and for so long without seeking medical help other than dietitians.  I was glad no one was around when I weighed myself,  I would not have been able to face my co-works again, I know I have a long and hard and painful road ahead but it will all be worth it in the end, I figured I waited 39 yrs a few more is a piece of cake pardon the pun.  Some of your members have already welcomed me and asked to be my friends and I am honored and welcome all friends and invites we have to be our own support group.  Thanks for being here.
Best Regards

Dominic
Debbie T.
on 8/5/10 8:59 am - Canada
Congratulations you have taken the first step. They do not run a waitlist in order of referral but rather they prioritize based on need, related conditions such as sleep apnea, diabetes. So the wait may be shorter than you expect to be invited to an information session.
Debbie

Weight lost since surgery
Dominic E.
on 8/5/10 10:09 am, edited 8/6/10 9:35 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
Hi Debbie thanks for the encouragement, I probably do have sleep apnea, and according to Capital health my bmi is 57 not (67) as per their chart so I am figuring the wait will not be that long hopefully and I am trying to lose weight by cutting back, 
A in NS
on 8/5/10 10:08 am
This is SUCH a great site!!  There is always someone available to answer questions & point you in the right direction (and generally, keep you from freaking out! lol)  The other great thing about this forum is that you can say whatever you want without worry of being judged - it is so freeing, somehow!  I've told you all things that I wouldn't even THINK about telling my friends!!  I guess we're all in the same boat and it makes life easier. 

I don't know if anyone told you about the capital health obesity website, but if they didn't, here it is:
http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage&catego ry.Categories.1=112¢erContent.Id.0=32829

Also, there is a support group meeting coming up on August 8 where you can ask all of the questions you can think of --  you can read about it here:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NS/4215052/Support-Group-M eeting-August-8/

Hope this helps and glad to 'meet' you!  :))

Angie

Weight lost since surgery:

Dominic E.
on 8/5/10 10:16 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
 Hi Angie thanks,for the site info and the friendly welcome, I actually found the Capital Health link and mentioned it to my wife who works for Capital Health as a RN and her co-worker is going for the Duodenum Switch, she already had the Lap band with no results.  Going to the Dr on Wed to get the referral and I printed off the referral form and filled it out already, just needs her John Hand-**** and we are good to go, also checkup since I had Carpal Tunnel Surgery 2 weeks ago
Debbie T.
on 8/6/10 6:34 am - Canada
Hi Dominic

The big key for you is that you will need to get your BMI down below 60 before they will do the surgery. It can be hard but many of us have done it. I did a combination of a modified atkins (low fat) and a  liquid diet. They also recommended a 1200 cal "no choice diet" that I did for a while that worked.
Debbie

Dominic E.
on 8/6/10 9:34 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
 Hey thanks for the info, I actually screwed up on the BMI, my is 57 not 67 that was a typo still recovering from carpal tunnel lol
Debbie T.
on 8/6/10 9:39 am - Canada
Then you will be fine
Debbie

Dominic E.
on 8/6/10 10:31 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
 Thanks, meeting my family Dr Wed to get the referral going
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/10 11:06 am - Canada
Hey Dominic,
When you go to your GP, if you feel they are trying to discourage you do not take NO for an answer.  You have every right to demand the referral and make your choices yourself about getting in to the program. 
Lana
Most Active