How long until you can exercise?

A in NS
on 8/1/10 11:07 pm
I am almost 3 weeks out and I walk every day (5 - 8 km) but I feel like I could do more - yoga, aquasize, gym - I don't really know what, but something!  So how long did you wait before you started doing 'formal' exercise & what did you do?  I don't want to hurt anything!

Weight lost since surgery:

chrissybell03
on 8/2/10 6:48 am - Canada
Hi Angie,
I started off with walking took, but as soon as I started to feel fine, I began other stuff too. Right now I'm working on the couch to 5k running program. It's light for the first few weeks. I do some yoga too, but I'm sticking with stuff that has modifications so I don't try to bend like a pretzel or anything. LOL. Yoga for Dummies has a great video with a daily dozen routine that she shows alot of modifications for. I find it pretty good. I started doing some handheld weights within 2 weeks, just bicep curls and lateral raises and stuff. It wasn't bad. But everyones body is different, so I would recommend trying something out, but really paying attention to your body. Also, checking with Diana probably wouldn't hurt either. Here is the link for the running program I'm doing...... http://www.c25k.com/..There are podcasts you can add to your mp3 player that has music and the host cuts in every so often and tells you when to run and when to walk. There are different podcasts for every week. Good luck hun! 
Cheers,
Chrissy
xoxo
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/10 8:11 am - Canada
I wouldn't be lifting or doing too much other than walking or swimming until you see Dr. Ellsmere for your check. 
Thats just me though.

LJ
Debbie T.
on 8/2/10 8:45 am - Canada
HOw soon after surgery are you allowed to swim?
Debbie

Weight lost since surgery
A in NS
on 8/2/10 9:45 am
My family doc told me my incisions were fine to go in at 9 days out.  Dr. Ellsmere told me 10 days so I waited a bit longer to be safe - then I showered right after I went in to make sure the incisions were clean (that was me, not the Dr's advice).  :)

Weight lost since surgery:

Most Active