Update - One Week Out

A in NS
on 7/19/10 11:08 pm

Well here I am one week out from VSG already!  I never really felt that bad the whole time - the worst part for me was in the hospital the day after surgery - I had a big crying spree, but not because of the surgery, because I always do when the anesthetic is coming out of my system!  Oh, last night wasn't that great either because I haven't had a bowel movement since I came home so my family doc gave me this suppository from hell!  OMG I had cramps & pain & I thought I was going to pass out - seriously, it was awful stuff!!  I was up walking in the hospital probably before I should have been and I haven't stopped since - as long as I remember to take some pain meds I feel fine.  I am tapering off the pain meds now and just using them (@ 1/2 dose) if we go for long walks or long drives.  I am still sore and I have six big bruises around my incision sites (more like puncture wounds) and they all feel fine - it's the seventh incision that is in my belly button that is pretty tender & actually a bit infected (doc gave me some Fucidin to help clear it up).  I no longer take ANY Metformin - I was reduced to 500mg x 2/day before surgery but since I haven't needed any at all!  Yay!!!  I am still taking  a low dose of blood pressure meds but yesterday my bp was 120/70 so doc doesn't think I will need that for long either.  Since surgery I had to start meds for gall stone prevention (for 6 months, I think) & something for gas for about a month.  It is hard to get all of the protein in that I am supposed to since I can only eat 2 TBS at a time - I think I will have to have 2 protein shakes/day to keep up with the demand for protein.  I don't seem to have any problem getting enough fluid in a day.  I can't think of anything else to tell you so if there's something you want to know, just ask - I used to love reading the updates before my surgery!  Oh yeah, I have lost 15lbs in this first week - what a rush!  The only thing that worries me is that if I don't lose 15lbs next week I'm going to be disappointed - I know I'm not going to lose that every week and that it tapers off, for sure, but it sure was nice for the first week!

Weight lost since surgery:

Alegria
on 7/20/10 3:00 am - Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeh Angie,

You are doing amazing, great job... everything is so well, I am so happy for you.  You'll soon have to start getting rid of those baggy clothes and start shopping, but don't go crazy as you'll probably only be in sizes for a short period of time.

Remember the protein is key so you don't lose muscle mass, so what ever you have to do to keep your levels at 80 grams then do it as you will feel better and will have more energy especially if you are walking so much you'll need the protein for sure.

Take care of you, thanks for posting,

Hugs,

Nadine

5'10 ~ HW 333 / SW 319 / CW 223 / Goal 170

maryja
on 7/20/10 8:29 am - NS, Canada
Hi Angie,

It sounds like you are doing so well, that's just great!  Isn't that first week's weight loss a high?  I remember I lost 10 pounds and I could hardly believe my eyes - 229 to 219 WOW!!

Just keep sipping and walking and all will be well.

Enjoy the journey, it really is a good one.  I haven't looked back for a second! :)

Hugs,

MJ :)
MJ
mlm105
on 7/20/10 11:27 am - Mainland,NS, Canada
Glad to hear everything went well. I lve following your journey.
Mel
donna63
on 7/23/10 1:07 am - halifax, Canada
wow u are doing great!!! did u take insulin before your vsg? i take 4 metformin/day and 22 units in the am and 22 units at bedtime of long lasting insulin and before every meal i take 12 units of short acting insulin seems like to much i  am only 46
A in NS
on 7/27/10 10:46 am
Hi Donna,  I took 2 x 850mg/day when I was 350lbs, then down to 2 x 500 when I was 300ish lbs and then down to nothing at all @ 270lbs!  I took insulin when I had gestational diabetes (a LOT of insulin) but that is the only time I had to take it.  I have a very long family history of diabetes & obesity.  I will be 41 in August...

Weight lost since surgery:

Most Active