I'm back home & sleeved!

A in NS
on 7/15/10 9:52 am
The surgery went fine & I'm back home - surgery on Tuesday morning - back home on Thursday afternoon.  I will update in more detail later - just wanted to let you all know I'm doing fine.  I'm pretty sore so I think I'll take one of those lovely pain killers & watch some TV!

Weight lost since surgery:

CaperGal
on 7/15/10 10:42 am - Sydney Mines, Canada
Hi, girl so glad to hear you got a long well. We were all wondering if you were alright. Did you see that some of us from March 1st. got an email to go up there in Oct. Mine is Oct. 13th. Can't wait. Looking forward to seeing how everything went at the hospital. Take care. Get plenty of
A in NS
on 7/16/10 10:42 pm
Wow - so happy that you got your appointment!!  The surgery part is no problem - the recovery takes a little more time but already it's worth it!  I'm still walking around in a daze, probably from the pain killers, but I have lost 7lbs as of this morning (from surgery date) and really only started walking yesterday (I walked around the hospital, and the house but started walking around town yesterday).  You will love Dr. Ellesmere - he's very good at what he does!!  :)

Debbie T.
on 7/17/10 5:50 am - Canada
Hi Angie,

Glad to hear you are doing do well with weight loss and walking. Do you find there is a difference with feeling hungry. I have been trying the liquid but the hunger is always a battle for me. My surgery is August 11 and I will need to do the pre-op liquid. Any hints on how you coped with that week?

Debbie
Debbie

Weight lost since surgery
A in NS
on 7/17/10 8:03 am
Hi Debbie,
I have been hungry once since surgery - then I had 2 TBS of soup & protein powder blended up and I was stuffed again!  It's so much different than the pre-op diet.  With the pre-op diet I found that I lost most of my hunger the 3rd or 4th day in - I mixed protein powder with almost everything so that my stomach always had something to 'digest'.  I also added unflavored metamucil to a few of my drinks which seemed to have helped the runs.  Also, my husband did the liquid diet with me (when he was home with me) so that it wouldn't be so hard on me - when he and my son went out to do errands they went out to Subway or whatever so he didn't have liquids all the time (my son ate regular food) anyway, it helped that there wasn't someone sitting beside me eating pizza!   Having said that, pizza is what hubby & son had for supper tonight and it didn't bother me a bit - the surgery takes away the strong feelings you have about food - mind you, it still looks good, but I have no trouble staying away from it now & I would have pre-op.  Any other questions you have feel free to ask - I really appreciated the advice I got here pe-op and I intend to try to help anyone anyway I can  :)

CaperGal
on 7/17/10 10:24 am - Sydney Mines, Canada

Hi, Angie When do you go see the Doc. next? You were only in for 2 days. That was good. I hope when I finally get done I can stay at least 3 days cos I have a 4 1/2 hour drive home. Maybe I can sleep some of it.lol I am so glad you are doing so great. Just think this time next year you will be a skinny little thing sending us lots of pictures. Do you still have pain?

A in NS
on 7/17/10 12:20 pm
I see Dr. Ellsmere in August (a little over a month after surgery date), but they wanted me to go see my family doc on Monday to see about my meds - I have had low blood sugars since the surgery but haven't been taking any metformin (Yay!!!).  Then I have to see my family doc 10 days after surgery date to have staples removed (metal staples - soooo itchy!!)  I was in 3 days - I had to be there at 6am on Tuesday morning and then I got out at around 3pm on Thursday afternoon.  I live 1 1/2 hours from the hospital and I slept most of the way home - take a pillow with you in the car so you can hold it over your tummy when going over bumps so your tummy doesn't jiggle - that hurts!  Make sure you take some pain meds just before you leave the hospital.

I forgot to take my pain meds before I left for my walk tonight and I did have pain by the time I got back home (not bad pain though) and we did walk 5km so I did great for having forgot my pain meds but I still do need them - I have some pain now, but it has been getting better & better each day.

CaperGal
on 7/18/10 11:53 pm - Sydney Mines, Canada
Thanks for the info Angie. You walked 5km's OMG I can't even walk around my neighborhood. lol No wonder you had pain. Don't over do it tho. Glad you are doing so well. I will be sure to take pain meds before I leave. Have you been sleeping a lot?
A in NS
on 7/19/10 9:16 am
Yes, I have been getting pretty tired in the afternoons and have had some afternoon naps, but the night before last I couldn't sleep so I thought 'no more naps!' which has helped, but I am pretty dragged out tonight - forgot my pain meds AGAIN before we went walking (man, what's up with that??  lol) and I was pretty sore by the time we got home (5 km again) so I think I will take that pain killer & snuggle up & watch some boob tube!  :)

donna63
on 7/22/10 12:03 pm - halifax, Canada
Where is the best (cheapest) place to get protein powder is there a certain kind you have to have? I know it is early for me to be asking questions. Just getting my referral sent out today. My doc doesn't even know if they will do it because i am  not heavy enough i said i think i am. I take metform and 2 types insulin and blood pressure meds. so i feel i do need this i been on every diet known to man or woman.
Most Active