Newbie Looking for Info

lizzzie_07
on 7/2/10 12:41 pm - Canada
Hello,

I'm from Halifax and am in the research phase of wls. I currently have a lap band which I got 3 yrs ago, and it has turned out to not be the tool for me. I am thinking I would like either the mini or original gastric bypass surgery. I need to find a good surgeon who would also be willing to remove my lapband and immediately do the bypass surgery, without making me wait 6 months in between (as I was told by one surgeon's office). I'm 24, 5'8 290lbs

Any advice or direction you could give me would be great.

Thanks!

Elizabeth
jacquelinemac
on 7/2/10 7:52 pm - stellarton, Canada
if you want msi to pay for it  you will have to have a gastric sleeve   thats all they do in halifax  msi won`t pay for weight loss surgery   it out side of  nova scotia   ( by the way thats something new )  if you can afford to i hear montreal is the place to go in you can pay for it     as for haveing your band removed  and a new surgery  all at the same time  good luck   i`m also in the same boat  sort of  i had a band   mine has been removed   althought i   am now waiting to have new weight loss surgery  i`m at the mercy of the hospital  for a sugery date    should be in the next six months   good luck      jacqueline
lizzzie_07
on 7/3/10 1:04 am - Canada
Does MSI paying for it mean going on that huge waiting list?  I paid for my lapband on my own and was planning to pay for this as well, as I don`t want to wait years for the surgery. 

I contacted Dr. Christou`s office, and he told me I would have to wait 6 months in between getting my lapband removed and the new surgery. But when I look at experienced U.S. surgeons, it appears that they are willing to do revision surgeries all at once. I`m finding it all a bit confusing. I`d like to stay in Canada but it isn`t looking good.

I`m also looking at Dr. Ungson in Mexico for a DS, as he is the only vetted Mexico surgeon on the DS website.  DS is sounding more and more appealing.  The gastric sleeve doesn`t appeal to me as I`ve already done the restriction alone thing without success.

imaybenuts
on 7/3/10 8:09 am - Canada
as to what i understand they are only doing gastric sleeve in hali....and if u had previous wls they will not touch u..... but i could be wrong..look on the qeii web site and email dianna lawther.... she will give u info im sure.... i think u look under biatric surgery maybe wls...good luck

30 lbs lost pre op

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/10 12:19 pm - Canada

Hi Elizabeth,
The only WLS they are doing in Halifax is the VSG.  I was told that they are currently only doing first time patients. 
Hopefully you can find what you are looking for.  Research the vsg, a lot of people get the band to sleeve revision with success.  Not sure about the waiting in between or where you would be able to get it done though.

Lana

maryja
on 7/5/10 11:12 pm - NS, Canada

Hi Elizabeth,

My surgeon, Dr. Aceves in Mexicali does the Gastric Bypass and does revisions as well and has a fantastic reputation and years of experience.  I would highly recommend him as I know all of his patients would.  Let me know if you want more info.

All the best,

MJ :)

MJ
Most Active