Post wls plastic surgery questions

arcticchat
on 2/17/10 11:55 am - Halifax, Canada
For those who have reached (or nearly reached) their weight loss goal, have you explored, have scheduled or already had plastic surgery such as an abdominoplasty? If so, do you recommend any surgeons? Did you have it done privately? Did you pay for it yourself or did MSI or your insurance cover any of the costs? I am at the stage where I am considering this but have no idea how to start.
Thanks in advance!
My goal is to run and play with my nieces and nephews.  Something I could never do before.

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 6:29 am - Canada

Hi,

I am 40lbs fr goal but have started thinking about it too. I was told by the weight loss clinic that it is not covered by msi. I am going to talk to my family doc just to double check, however, Dr Bender-Samuel (sp) has a private clinic downtown hfx and was reccomended to me by Dr Klassen. If you google him you will find his site and approx prices are listed.

I dont know if we would need to get a referral fr our family doc for a private practice or not but i plan on talking to her just as a place to start if nothing else.

Hope this helps you some, let me know how you do and if you find out anything!

Cheers,

KDorey
on 2/25/10 11:24 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85

When I had my surgery in 1985 MSI was still covering tummy tucks once you lost the weight.  Unfortunately, for me I didn't finish having my family until October 1996 (child #4) and that is the year they stopped paying for it.

I had my tummy tuck done in Feb 2005 and my plastic surgeon (here in Bridgewater) was able to get MIS to cover 1/2 of the cost.  It was still expensive but ohhhh so worth it.  The pants actually fit now - always had to buy them bigger to fit over the "belly" skin that was left behind. (weight loss 110lbs).

I don't think I would ever consider getting my arms done - heard that is very painful.  Tummy tuck was painful enough - but again worth it.

You can go through a company called "medicard" that is a finance company for medical procedures.  I am sure any plastic surgeon would have info on them.

Good luck on your journey - and continue to enjoy your new healthy life.

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/10 8:26 am - Canada

How much was the cost to you? Just curious (-: I am going to have to start the process soon.

Do you have the vertical band? I didnt know Dr M did RNY?

Thanks!

KDorey
on 3/1/10 11:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85

My doctor was Dr. A. MacDonald and my surgery was a Gastroplasty.  I think the RNY is slightly different.  The total cost ofthe tummy tuck was $8,000 and I had to pay $4,000.  They would vary depending on the specific hospital and the cost of the OR, staff, extra.  I am assuming if it were down at one of the Metro Hospitals it would be more expensive.

Good Luck to you.

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/10 4:39 am - Canada

Thanks, who did your plastic surgery in Bridgewater and how did you find the whole thing? Painful? Recovery time, etc?

Thanks (-:

KDorey
on 3/10/10 1:00 am - Canada
RNY on 12/14/85
Surgeon is no longer in the Bridgewater area.  It was more painful than I anticipated.  The incision goes from one hip to the other along the panty line.  Although they don't cut into the muscle it is still a long incision.  Normally you are in and out of the hospital in 24 hours, however, I have low blood pressure and had to stay another 24 hours before I could get up without feeling like I was going to pass out.  I was back to work part-time within 1 1/2 weeks - keep in mind I have a desk job.

Good luck,

jennifer7270
on 5/14/12 11:42 pm - halifax, Canada
hi I just wanted to let you know I am having my tummytuck done in oct by doctor allen macdonald he's still around just get sent to him by you're doctor he's really good he's located in north comberland hospital
MJ_12_20_01
on 4/15/10 4:26 am

I had WLS 12/20/01.  I lost 170 lbs.  To date, I have kept the weight off.  I had an Abdominoplasty, breast lift and will be having a face lift next month.  The Abdominoplasty and breast lift were done at the same time originally in 2004.  I had a re-do in 2006.  I am very happy and a whole new person because I had this surgery.  It was worth everything for me to have it done.  I fought to have my abdominoplasty covered by insurance.  I won.  It took me about 4 months and many letters to the state insurance commission to get it, but it can be covered. 

My surgeon was and still is my hero.  Dr. Douglas Foreman, Bethesda, Maryland.  He explained everything to me and told me because I had so much skin, I would probably need to have additional surgeries.  I did and I feel like a million bucks.  He is going to be performing a "turkey neck-otomy" on me this month.  I have absolutely no reservations in recommending him.

First step is to call your weight loss surgeon and ask him/her if they recommend someone in your area for plastic surgery.  Be careful,  make sure that you follow that up with your own research.  Contact the plastic surgeon and ask if they have had any or work with any weight loss surgery patients.  THIS IS KEY.  You have to work with someone who understands that our skin is different than old lady/man skin.  The elasticity is completely gone in the areas that need the skin removed.  A surgeon who has weight loss surgery patients knows this and will deal with these issues ahead of time.  If you go to someone who hasn't had weight loss patients, you may find that several revisions are necessary.   I hope this answered some of your questions.

jennifer7270
on 5/14/12 11:40 pm - halifax, Canada
hi coreena I am haveing a tummytuck in oct by doctor macdonald and I am verry scared that he will mess it up some people say he really makes a mess of you can you tall me how you're operation went and make me feel better about this I am also haveing two turnia repares at the the same time thankyou
jennifer in halifax
Most Active