New bee to this. Looking

SLRead
on 1/7/10 12:54 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Hi there,
I'm new to all of this and have no idea where to start.  I know I should go to my GP for a referral of some sort, but other than that...I have no idea of what type of surgery, how long this process takes, any costs etc.  Any info would be helpful.  It would be nice to go to my GP with some sort of plan or thoughts on this procedure or what types are offered now.
Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 1/7/10 9:28 am - Canada

Hi

I would first go to the QEII hospital website. Do a search for the Obesity program. There you will find a sheet you can print off and take to your Dr to fill out as your refferal. This sheet goes to Diana Lawlor. Her contact info should be on the website as well as a bit more additional info.

The type of weight loss surgery offered here is the gastric sleeve. You can browse for info on that and talk to others here on the OH network for more info on it. Go to the sleeve gastrectomy fourum on here as more people use it than the NS forum. There you can post questions etc.

There are no costs involved. If you are approved for surgery then MSI pays for it. It is a long wait period right now but it never hurts to get things started.

If you want to email me privatley with quests i would be happy to help you further if i can. Add me to your friends list too is you want.

Hope this has helped you some.

Cheers,

maryja
on 1/9/10 12:25 pm - NS, Canada
Hi and welcome!

I live in NS as well but because of the incredibly long wait here many of us go to Mexico to have the vertical sleeve done.  There are some excellent surgeons and hospitals there and you can have the surgery pretty much within a month or two or when you are mentally prepared.  It is about 1/2 the cost of having it done in Ontario or Quebec where you can go as well and not have a wait. 

In NS unless you have a bunch of co-morbidities like diabetis, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc. you will wait 5 - 7 years.  I'm 45 and I want my life back so I'm booked for March 1 in Mexico. 

There are lots of choices if you don't want to wait 5 - 7 years.  Life is short!

All the best!

MJ 
MJ
Most Active