Lap Band Surgeon

MsBoudreau
on 10/22/09 9:49 am - Dartmoutn, Canada
I live in Halifax Nova Scotia. Is there a surgeon in NS that does the lap band? If not is anyone aware if MSI will cover the cost of it being done out of provenice? I am 50 yrs old, and a 7-8 yr wait is a bit much. Any help is greatly appreciated.
novascotiadawn
on 10/22/09 11:42 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ever hear of Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy...You wouldn't be disappointed..Only suggesting because I hear a lot of horror stories with the band. A couple years ago they wouldn't cover out of province.

Good luck in you WLS research!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

maryja
on 12/6/09 6:06 am - NS, Canada
Hi Donna,

I've hear that the weight loss is easier/quicker with theVSG.  Was your weight loss easy?

Thanks - I'm reading as much as I can to try to decide what to have and where... :)
smt2345
on 10/23/09 6:44 am - Canada
The closest is Dr. Beausoleil in Moncton. It is NOT covered - and I was quoted $5500. The surgery portion is covered, not the actual band. He also does RNY which would be totally covered, and apparently he is learning the VSG.
Weight lost since surgery (Oct. 1, 2009): 47 lbs
paramedic
on 10/26/09 2:28 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi there. Well to start off , there is no lapband surgeon in NS. The closest one is in NB. I hear that there is a 5-8 year wait. Which is crazy. I had my lapband done in Ont. By Dr Colburn. He was the *******so do adjustments for him as well.
  With going out of province, you have to pay for it out of your pocket. The price is not cheap. One thing with the band is that they guarantee it, the band, for life. You can claim it on your income tax. Also there are some financing place who will lend you the fee.
  If you need any omre info give me a line. Good luck

Laurie 
maryja
on 12/6/09 6:04 am - NS, Canada
HI Laurie,

I'm researching the band and VSG.  When you say the band is guaranted for life, do you know it that is by the manufacturer or surgeon?  I'm thinking of having it done in Mexico because of the incredible wait list in NS.  I guess I have fears of having it done in Mexico and then if anything happened to it I'd be out lots of money and have to have something else done.  Not sure what to do.  Would you recommend the band?  Has your weight loss been what you thougth it would be?

Thanks very much!

MJ
Most Active