VSG - Dr. James Ellsmere

iluvthesun
on 10/2/09 8:05 am - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I know a number of you have had VSG with Dr. Ellsmere.  I have a few questions:

Is there an information session that you attend?

What is involved with the Psych evaluation?

I expect to be waiting for a long time, but love seeing all your posts with information and successes.  Keep up the great work.

novascotiadawn
on 10/4/09 2:46 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
He's the best, didn't  have him for the VSG. He was my surgeon for the aftercare with Dr. Klassen.

All the best and hopefully you won't have to wait to many months.

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

smt2345
on 10/4/09 9:33 pm - Canada
Hi, 

At some point (the list is rumored to be around 1500 right now, but it is on a case-by-case basis, not first come, first served) you will get an invitation to an Information Session with 100 other hopefuls. There you will receive information about preparation, the surgery, and the change in lifestyle needed. You fill out a questionnaire, and then wait for Diana Lawlor (coordinator) to book you for an appt. with herself, the dietician, and the psychologist. This appt. is more like an interview with all of them together, and they all make notes and suggestions, including the psychologist. Then you wait again, for a consult with the surgeon, and sign your papers. Normally on that day, you receive your surgery date, unless there are scheduling issues. For me there were, but the secretary called me in two days and I had my date.
Weight lost since surgery (Oct. 1, 2009): 47 lbs
iluvthesun
on 10/5/09 11:22 pm, edited 10/5/09 11:24 pm - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for the info.  It is really helpful to know the process.

CONGRATS on your surgery.  I hope you are feeling okay.

So out of the 100 hopefuls (love that expression - as it is really true), only some people get the call to meet with Diana, etc.  And then after that  - only some people again would go to the next step?

So at what stage is the wait the longest?  Before you even get invited to an info. session?  E.g. they only do the info. session a couple of times a year? 

I'm just trying to be realistic about what to expect, and wondering how you know where things are at.  The website says - don't call.  Do they tell you at some point  -  you would be a low priority, so it could be years, or you would be high priority so it would be in the next year?

My Dr. said she sent her other patient and it was less than a year - so she was obviously a higher priority......

I have considered mexico, and may look into that more.  Obviously my comfort level is much higher going to Halifax, I just don't know if I can wait 6 or 7 years.....

Anything else you can share or insigt would be appreciated.

Nancy
maryja
on 12/6/09 5:52 am - NS, Canada

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and researching having either lap band or VSG.  I spoke with Dr. Stalker's office this week in Hfx. and they indicated there are about 2000 on the waiting list.  I don't have a lot of the serious complications like diabetes so I feel like I need to go to Mexico as I am so tired of feeling this way...

Is it any easier to get one of the procedures in New Brunswick?

MJ
iluvthesun
on 10/5/09 11:24 pm - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Most Active