out of province questions

shjoh9
on 7/27/09 7:35 am - Canada
Hello!

I am brand new here and just went to my GP today for my referral.  I found that very emotional.  Can someone tell me if there are any options for going out of province for WLS?  Does MSI reimburse at all?  I know they wouldn't reimburse for any expenses but the actual procedure?

The 7 year wait is very depressing.  On the capitol health site they don't talk about wait times, saying each case is reviewed on it's own.  Anyone have any more details than that?

Thanks for any info you may be able to share.
paramedic
on 7/27/09 10:06 am - Coldbrook, Canada
 Hi there

I know it is very frustrating. I lived the dream was well. I went out of province. I you can get the finanicing then all you have to do is select when you want it. I went through a clinic in ontario. I do not regret my choices. Dr Colbourn was just wonderful. As for MSI paying for any thing the answer is no. But you can get some back on your taxes. You claim air fare, hotel room, and the surgery itself.
  As for the capital health system they are doing VSG proceedure. They are only doing 100 a year A the last count and that was last Oct  the waiting list 1500 waiting. I can only imagine it has gotten larger since then.
  Good luck
  Laurie
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/09 12:30 pm
VSG on 04/06/09 with
MSI will only cover your VSG if you find another province to get it done in a public hospital.

Good Luck with that. 

Quebec has a Dr Christou....he does his in a private hospital.  MSI won't pay if you use him.  Ontario is so back logged....that OHIP recognizes the problem and is paying to sent people to the USA for VSG.

There is no public hospital in Canada that is known to do VSGs.

The wait list at Capital Health is closer to 8-10 yrs....  someone posted that a little while ago.

I self paid.....$9750.............and went to Mexico.

Good Luck with your journey and research.

Balla
on 7/30/09 11:24 pm - Halifax, Canada
I paid 16500 and went for lapband in Toronto. I meet my fill nurse here in Halifax next week. I would not change a thing!
MSG if you want more info!

Original weight 290lbs
Weight @ Surgery 275lbs
Current 258lbs
gouthrpa
on 8/19/09 1:02 am - Canada
Hi, I'm also from Halifax area and was wondering why you went to TO to have surgery.  I was to the info session yesterday and my problem is I'm scared I will not succeed after the surgery.  What is different this time for you, what makes you so sure it will still be a success in years to come.

questionsCBer in Dart
csauer
on 8/10/09 4:49 am - Middle Sackville, Canada
Hi,
I went to India for gastric bypass surgery in 2006 and it was a great experience (cost us CAD 15,000 for everything incl. travel for 2 people tax deductible). My hubbie went in 2007 to Montreal to have the lap-band done, wait time was 1 year and MSI covered part of the expenses (they never cover the band, that is approx. 5000 alone). Read my blog or msg.
Good luck to you.
Christine
Citykitty
on 8/21/09 3:02 pm - Sydney, Canada
Hi,

I know how you are feeling.  I was in the same boat as you a few months ago.  I heard that the wait list for Halifax was 8 years and I was so discouraged that I didn't know whether or not it was even worth sending in a referral.  But I got my doctor to send one anyway.  Then I waited for about six weeks and then contacted them to make sure they got the referral and I asked in my email if she had any idea approximately how long I would have to wait.  She gave me an approximation on time and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I would not have to wait eight years.  Obviously they were taking into account my age and my medical conditions.  I was afraid I would have a heart attack or a stroke before I got in to see them, but now I am encouraged and I'm trying to lose some weight on my own.  I know I won't get in this year and maybe not next year.  But at least I won't have to wait 8 years.

So  I would encourage you to go through your doctor and get a referral sent in regardless of what you are hearing or reading on this site.  They do classify each case individually depending upon the person's age and their medical history, ie. their comorbidities.  Unless you are 30 years old and have no other preexisting health conditions, I wouldn't worry about being shuttled to the end of the pack.  Having said that, if you do fall into the latter category, at least you know the scoop now.

Good luck.

Loiskins
on 10/13/09 4:55 am - Glace Bay, Canada
Hi I am new too

MSI will pay for the surgery.  Apparently if you go to any province except Quebec--they will bill directly.  I just spoke to MSI this morning.  Quebec--you have to pay first and then submit your bill.

Lois
Most Active