Anyone else doing Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy?

Citykitty
on 7/20/09 11:45 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi folks,

I'm on the waiting list for surgery in Nova Scotia but I fear I'll likely die before my number comes up.  However, now that I've researched it, I am interested in the VSG and I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a surgeon from Quebec or Ontario perhaps that I could get in touch with for info.

beaverblue
on 7/20/09 11:53 am - Canada
Hey CityKitty, I am heading into Halifax tomorrow for my second consult. I was referred in September, had my first consult in Feb and now tomorrow. Although it may seem like a lifetime, actually it is pretty quick.  I have been on a waiting list for 5 years BUT that surgeon retired. So the Halifax team started doing VSG in April 08 in Halifax. Have your GP refer you and you never know if you don't try how long it might take. At least, if approved, MSI covers the whole shot.

Give it a try and good luck.

Cheers, Sugarbear

Citykitty
on 7/21/09 4:49 am - Sydney, Canada
Thanks for the encouragement.  My referral has gone in but I hear that the wait list is now 8 years so I'm not optimistic.  I'm 55 now so I'm wary about my health and what will happen in the meantime.

CANADIAN GASTRIC
CHICKY

on 7/20/09 3:00 pm - Canada
Hey

Just wanted to give you a website for your research- I live in Halifax and was told 5-7 years last April 2008 for my wait for the Halifax clinic- I was not on the previous list so was starting from scratch at the time - with my declining health I decided to continue my research into WLS in other provinces and the US.

I knew that with the Ontario clinics I spoke with the wait for sugery was lengthly and it could not be lapband or a private clinic - either of those two factors and MSI would not cover the costs. I did not want lap band.

I ended up self paying and having RNY on June 2008- Dr Christou in Montreal - he is one of the Canada's leading bariatric surgeons .

His website should give you some information to research and he discusses the different types of WLS available.

www. weightlosssurgery.ca

Good luck in your research.

deb

STARTING 2010 WITH A BANG! 160 LBS LOST!

WLS JOURNEY: HW-292/SW-273/CW-132-GOAL 125LBS
        WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT - ME - 132 LBS ! omg

- Happy to be Brenda B's angel !

Citykitty
on 7/21/09 4:53 am - Sydney, Canada
Thanks Deb.  I'll contact them to see what type of procedures are available there and the costs, etc.  I do not have the funds right at the moment, but I am trying to plan financially for this perhaps a year or two out since I don't think I can afford to wait the eight years this province would have me wait.

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/09 12:25 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
I could not endure the wait list of 7 yrs either.  I thought and still think it is cruel and a stain on our NS health care.

That being said.....I self paid....went to Dr Alvarez in Mexico.......in April of this year.........I am so pleased with my progress and my decision to go that route.

If you have any questions...just ask.

Good Luck in your journey.
Citykitty
on 7/21/09 4:56 am - Sydney, Canada
Thanks for your quick reply.  I doubt that I could afford Mexico.  Cost wise, do you know how it compared to the cost of getting it done in Canada?  What type of surgery did you have and how are you doing with it so far?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/09 6:27 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
I had a VSG....and am 54 lbs down and over 36 inches lost to date.  That is 3 mos 2 weeks post op.

I had an excellent surgeon.....in an excellent facility.....and am doing.....you guessed it....EXCELLENT.

I tried the Quebec route....and the Ontario route as well.  At this time...Ontario is so far behind in their surgeries...that OHIP pays for people to leave the province and even the country to go for a VSG.  At least Ont recognizes they need assistance in their back log of WLS.

I went to a safe part of Mexico....in a hospital....not a clinic....had a top notch surgeon who has performed MANY VSG's and have had no issues. 

I paid under $500 for my airfare....and $9750 for my VSG.  It was cheaper to go there and I was referred by many people who went there before I chose Dr Alvarez.  I investigated 14 surgeons....to arrive at this one.

If you have any more questions....just keep asking.

Below in blue is an excerpt sent to me by the Quebec Dr doing self pay VSGs.

Jane,

We are definitely performing the VSG and are about to update our web site 
to
 indicate this. It is available at no wait through our private hospital. 
The
 cost is an all inclusive $18,500.

We are filling our dates very fast as we are the only center in Canada
capable of offering laparoscopic bariatric surgery with minimal wait.
Citykitty
on 7/21/09 9:56 am - Sydney, Canada
OMG......I'm astounded.  I just got the info today from Dr. Christou's clinic and I was thinking that I would probably have no other options but to consider that.  Now I am starting to get excited again.  I still wouldn't be able to afford it for another year or two but this is starting to sound like it might really be doable after all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you..... you have just made my night.  What did you do about insurance in case anything went wrong during the procedure?

Citykitty
on 7/21/09 10:28 am - Sydney, Canada
Jane,

What part of Mexico was it?  I have a sister who lives in Nevada and I'm sure that's the first thing she'd ask me.

Most Active