Considering Surgery

owensmom
on 7/12/09 9:55 pm - Lower Sackville, Canada
Hi I am considering having a lap band or other surgery and live in NS, but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions, advice or help would be appreciated :)
novascotiadawn
on 7/13/09 2:46 am, edited 7/13/09 2:46 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
For the surgeries in NS here is the form your doctor needs to fill in and send off. Lap-Band, where ever you get it done, remember it needs fills. I don't think there's a lot of places in NS to get it done, the fills that is and no one preforms the lap-band here. The wait for the Halifax clinic is awhile. If your really interested. There is a few really skilled surgeons in Mexico for the Vertical Sleeve. Someone that has RNY can chime in and tell their experience there! I have the VSG and love it!

Donna

The LP

Consult For Weight Loss Surgery Fax to: 902-425-3817

Capital District Health Authority

Date:

Patients Name:

DOB:

Address

Phone

GP (name/phone):

Risk Factors (Please check all that apply)

BMI>40 or 100lbs overweight

BMI>35 plus medical co-morbidities

Failure of medical management over a long period of time to control weight

HTN

Obesity related cardiomyopathy

Abnormal Glucose tolerance or Type 2 DM

Reflux esophagitis

Severe sleep apnea

Disabling arthritis, chronic low back pain, osteoarthritis, impending knee replacement surgery candidate

Breakdown of skin secondary to excess pannus with ongoing cellulitis or recurrent abcess

End stage obesity syndrome requiring hospitalization

Pseudotumor cerebri

Hyperphagic syndromes

Steatophepatitis and cirrhosis

Hyperlipidemias

Other syndromes ________________________________________

Weight:

Height:

BMI:

Supportive Information (social, psychological, lifestyle):

Referred for WLS in the past Y or N________ when_________

Physician Signature:

Contact info: 

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 5:37 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
I started looking at the balloon, then the band, and finally found the VSG...thank goodness.

I tried to get it done in Halifax....but the 7 year wait list was too long for me to even consider.

So I went to Mexico, VSG done in April of this year.

Good Luck in your search.......and choice......PM me if you have any questions.

paramedic
on 7/16/09 9:33 am - Coldbrook, Canada
  Hi there

First you need to find the procedure that fits your needs. I does take some time to find out the different types of surgery that could work for you. Once you have done your homework then you need to talkit over with your famly Dr. There is a group of Docs doing the VGS in Halifax. There are Dr's doing the lap band in NB. If you do not want to wait the you can go out of province to have the surgery. If you select the band then you need to find someone to do the fills. Your family doc prob will not do them.
  I had my band done in Toronto. I had to pay out of pocket. I do not regret my choice at all. I have also  been trained by the clinic to do the adjustments.
  So lokk for what will work for you good luck.

Laurie

Most Active