Bariatric surgery in Nova Scotia

fancyfish
on 7/1/09 7:02 am - Halifax, Canada
Hello,
I am new to this site and am wondering if anyone knows what the situation is if I want gastric bypass surgery in Nova Scotia?  Are there any doctors who perform this surgery in NS?  Is it covered by insurance?  What is the process?  Please help!!
novascotiadawn
on 7/1/09 3:48 pm, edited 7/1/09 3:51 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hello there,
Last I heard the waiting list your looking at 2014... They do, do Gastric bypass, but, also the Vertical Sleeve which was a blessing for me! There's two surgeons in Halifax.. Dr. Dennis Klassen and Dr. James Ellsmere...They are the BEST!!! It's covered by insurance.

You need to print this off and get you family doctor to do the referral.

The LP

Consult For Weight Loss Surgery Fax to: 902-425-3817

Capital District Health Authority

Date:

Patients Name:

DOB:

Address

Phone

GP (name/phone):

Risk Factors (Please check all that apply)

BMI>40 or 100lbs overweight

BMI>35 plus medical co-morbidities

Failure of medical management over a long period of time to control weight

HTN

Obesity related cardiomyopathy

Abnormal Glucose tolerance or Type 2 DM

Reflux esophagitis

Severe sleep apnea

Disabling arthritis, chronic low back pain, osteoarthritis, impending knee replacement surgery candidate

Breakdown of skin secondary to excess pannus with ongoing cellulitis or recurrent abcess

End stage obesity syndrome requiring hospitalization

Pseudotumor cerebri

Hyperphagic syndromes

Steatophepatitis and cirrhosis

Hyperlipidemias

Other syndromes ________________________________________

Weight:

Height:

BMI:

Supportive Information (social, psychological, lifestyle):

Referred for WLS in the past Y or N________ when_________

Physician Signature:

Contact info:

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

fancyfish
on 7/4/09 7:59 am - Halifax, Canada
Thanks so much for the info....I will talk to my doctor about it and hopefully get started with the process.  How did your surgery go?  How long ago did you get it?  Any complications or regrets?  How much did you lose with it, and has it been easy to keep it off?  How long did you have to wait to get your surgery?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions....I have never spoken to anyone who has gone through this before.

Thanks for all your help and info.
novascotiadawn
on 7/4/09 9:07 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi, your very welcome!!

My surgery went well. I got surgery June 2, 2008. I did  have complications. Had a esophageal leak. Was a year from hell, but am alive and well and here to talk about it. NO, regrets :O)). I have lost almost 160 in the past year. It has been easy to keep it off. I go up some days, but, that's only because I have had a tad to many carbs. But, get right back on track with protein first rule. I had to wait 7 years for surgery. Three of those years they didn't have a surgeon in NS to preform the surgeries. The two surgeons they have there now are my Gods, even the hell I want through they tried there hardest to fix me, but, my body just rejected everything!!! They are Dr. Klassen and Dr. Ellsmere.

Add me as a friend and we can keep in touch!

Hugs

Donna

fancyfish
on 7/4/09 10:29 am - Halifax, Canada
Cool, your surgery date was on my birthday!   Anyway, does this complication happen often? And what kind of problems does it create?  Was the surgery done laprascopically, and how long did you have to take off work?

thanks again for all your info. :)

Christa
novascotiadawn
on 7/4/09 11:28 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No, it doesn't happen a lot. There's like a 1 or 2% chance. Guess I was a lucky one, eh!. I had left sided pain with referred pain to my left shoulder. My lower left lobe lung collapsed. Had lots of infections. It is done laprascopically, but wil open if problems occur. He gives you 4 weeks off!  Depends on what you do and how you recover. Everyone is different!

PS. Where in NS are you from?

Donna

fancyfish
on 7/4/09 12:16 pm - Halifax, Canada
Yikes!  Sounds awful....but you are okay now?  I was one of the lucky ones, too, when I had my gallbladder removed last year and developed a post-op infection that took 9 weeks to heal and daily painful wound care....uugh!  I hope that doesn't happen again with this procedure!

So, 1 - 2 % doesn't sound too risky!  Unless, it happens to you, of course

I live Halifax - what about you?

Christa
Alegria
on 7/5/09 9:34 am - Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi Christa,

Donna is right the surgeons here in Halifax are amazing and will walk you through the entire process.

I will be 6 weeks post-op this coming Wednesday, and have absolutely no regrets, not even for a minute.  I still have a long way to go but am thankful for this tremendous gift.  I have also been blessed with no complications to date, but have followed exactly what I've been told to do as well, it doesn't prevent all complications but I wasn't taking any chances.

Ask as many questions as you can at the info session, that's what they are there for.  You will have to fill out more forms as well, be as honest as possible as this will help determine how you best qualify for the procedure.

I live in the Halifax area as well, perhaps we'll be able to meet sometime, if ever you feel like chatting let me know.

Congrats on the beginning of your new journey!

Take care,

Nadine

5'10 ~ HW 333 / SW 319 / CW 223 / Goal 170

fancyfish
on 7/6/09 9:04 am - Halifax, Canada
Thanks Nadine!  I was wondering how long your wait was for your surgery?  How have you felt since the surgery?  Do you feel hungry, sick?  How long did you have to take of off work?

I'm full of questions, so I hope you don't mind.  I will be excited to see how you progress - congrats on your surgery and I hope for the best for you.

Christa
forcryinoutloud
on 7/20/09 10:04 am - Port Hood, Canada
Hi

I've been considering looking into gastric bypass or lap band surgery for a while now and have been trying to find out more information about what is available here in Nova Scotia (I'm in Cape Breton).

Can you tell me what the difference between the lap band and the "vertical sleeve" you mentioned is? The idea of gastric bypass seems a little too...scary heh at the moment but I've seen great things about the lap band...but again, have been having trouble finding out info about it for here in Nova Scotia.

I've been reading through the board and have seen conflicting reports about whether or not lap band is actually even available here in Nova Scotia and whether or not MSI will cover the cost - again, differing reports on whether it's "they cover everything" or "cover the surgery but not the band itself."

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Bev
Most Active