Itching at incision site

ravenjj1
on 6/30/09 8:59 pm - Dartmouth, Canada
 Hi Guys:

Well, I'm 12 days post op and doing pretty good.  I did have some concerns about shoulder pain so I got that checked out and it's gas pain.  Thank goodness.  Now I'm having some trouble with itching at my incision sites.  I spoke to my doc and she thinks it's a reaction to the surgical tape or the actual sewing up.  So she recommended polysporin, which I've done.  I also tried benadryl last night cause the itching is driving me nuts and I don't want to open anything up.  Anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?

Jeni
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/09 1:36 am - Canada

I too have the itchies. I was allergic to the steri strips. Under one part of them was a huge water blister from the tape which is really big and sore. I like to use warm sal****er. I find that helps a lot.

Good luck,

ravenjj1
on 7/1/09 11:17 am - Dartmouth, Canada
 Thanks Liz, I'll give it a try.  It's driving me crazy!  How are you doing?  Was the surgery what you thought it would be?  How about the recovery?  Honestly, I expected it to be a little easier on me after all that I'd read.  Call me crazy, but when you hear about people going back to work a week after, I thought I'd be like that.  Not so for me.  I'm still feeling exhausted.

Take care,
Jeni
Citykitty
on 7/22/09 6:06 am - Sydney, Canada
Hey Liz,

Congrats on your surgery.  How are you doing now?  I have so many question I wish I had you gals on my doorstep to pick your brains.  I'm anxious to hear about your progress because I'm hoping to be where you are in two years time.  So post, post ,post and tell us all about your progress please.

In the meantime, take care of yourself.

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/09 12:27 pm - Canada

Hi Jeni

Actually things are going pretty well. I am a week out now. Able to drink a lot. My steri strips are off and things are drying up. Still a bit sore but not bad. I never took any pain meds after i left the hospital. I had them, just didnt find i needed any bad enough. Dont think though i could go back to work in a week....Dr Klassen recomended 4 wks for me.

Hope you are feeling less itchy soon...

Cheers,

ravenjj1
on 7/1/09 11:58 pm - Dartmouth, Canada
 Glad to hear it's going well for you.  I think 4 weeks alot more reasonable.  The pain wasn't bad for me either, except at night.  I guess it was because I was travelling at the time too.   Now though i am back to walking and I can drive without a problem, just no long distances yet.  It's amazing how tough we can be on ourselves.  I think I was expecting more from me than anybody.  Well keep up the good work taking good care of yourself.

Jeni

Citykitty
on 7/22/09 6:02 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi Jeni,

Glad to hear you are doing better.  How is your weight loss coming along?  Are you able to eat solid foods now?  Did you fly into St. Antonio?  If so, how far is the clinic from there?  I tried to find the place on the google map of Mexico but I couldn't (of course, that's probably just a crude version anyway).  Are you able to exercise yet?

ravenjj1
on 7/25/09 1:14 pm - Dartmouth, Canada
 Hi,

The weight loss is coming along, I'm down 31lbs and it's been a little over a month.  I had a hard time with adjusting to the amount of food I can actually eat along with some swelling with my sleeve. I tried to eat solids too early and it can and did cause my sleeve to swell, so I had to go back on liquids for 5 days.  Now I can eat simple things like soft cheese, yogurt, eggs etc.  I avoid rice and bread as they seem to cause me problems.  I try to eat meat/protein but find I tolerate fish and chicken best.  I'm still working on getting enough protein in.  
Yes I did fly to San Antonio.  The clinic is closer to Eagle's Pass which is 2 hrs away from San Antonio.  If you go on endobariatric.com they have maps to show you where it is.  And yes I can exercise, but I'm taking it easy and just walking for the summer.  I'll be starting back with a trainer in the fall.  Feel free to ask any questions you like, I'll try to help.

Jeni

Most Active