What is the name of the doctor who does the sleeve?

CozyMommaOf2
on 6/18/09 3:28 am - Bridgewater, Canada
I was wondering if someone could please pass along the name and the number of the doctor who does the sleeve surgery?

I know this is something that I really want to do, and I have a very high risk favor. Eating well and exercising just doesn't seem to be helping. I am high risk because both of my parents were diabetic, and both died of heart attacks in the past 3 years. My dad was only 57, and my mom was 63. I'm not diabetic yet, and I really don't want to be.

I also have chronic anxiety, and depression, which being overweight only makes things works. I also have problems sleeping at night, I am not sure if it is sleep apnea or not.

Plus, I have the excess weight from having 2 children in the past 6 years.. So please, if anyone could give the name and number I would greatly appreciare it.
Alegria
on 6/18/09 5:12 am - Nova Scotia, Canada

There are current 2 physician in Halifax that I am aware of, Dr Dennis Klassen and Dr James Ellsmere.  However there is a process, you can't just pick up the phone on your own and book an appointment. 

You have to be referred by your family physician to the Clinic through Diana Lawlor [email protected]

This is the link to the Capital Health Web site, lots of information there to read

http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/default.aspx?page=SubPage&catego ry.Categories.1=112¢erContent.Id.0=32829

Keep the faith you'll get there.  Hope this is of some help.

Nadine

5'10 ~ HW 333 / SW 319 / CW 223 / Goal 170

CozyMommaOf2
on 6/18/09 6:01 am - Bridgewater, Canada
It helps a lot. Thank you very much. I wanted to have names to give to my family physican when I meet with him next.
Katie56
on 6/18/09 9:32 am - BRIDGEWATER, Canada
My surgeon was Dr Jim ELLSMERE  and he is really good...I don't have his phone number at the clinic but I think if you go to the Capital Health site and click on the obesity link you should be able to reach him...have you been to one of the information sessions yet?

Kathie
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/09 2:47 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
Are you aware that there is a waiting list of 5-7 years?

So get your name on a referral very soon.

Good Luck....the sleeve is a wonderful tool.
beaverblue
on 6/20/09 9:11 am - Canada
I am not sure if the list is actually thatt long. Info session in Feb and surgery in either Sept or Oct. Not sure how many more are on the list though.  It is worth a  try to check with Diana on the length of the list as you might decide to self-pay if it is too long. Don't get discouraged though.

Cheers, Carmen

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/09 9:44 am
VSG on 04/06/09 with
Diana told me they try to see 200 patients per year.

4 months ago, she told me there was at least 1000 on the list, with another 200 referrals at least.................1200 patients at 200/yr.....equals 6 yrs. 

That is what she told me........I have the email if anyone wants to see it.

I was just wanting the poster of the thread to know what kind of time frame she is looking at by going through Dr Ellsmere's clinic.    If people are willing to do that, awesome for them.  I was certainly glad that someone told me what to expect for a wait time.  And when Diana herself told me the length of wait, I went ahead and made plans to self pay.

I know my route is not for everyone, equally as the 6 yr route was not for me.

I think it is horrific that our province makes us wait that long.  It is a drain on our health and a emotional roller coaster of waiting.

I hope it all changes and changes quickly for the betterment of the people who need this surgery.

imaybenuts
on 6/22/09 1:33 am - Canada
i was talking to her the other day and she said IF your lucky you will be done by 2014(if just getting on waiting list) if you don't have diabeties...diabieties patients are bieng done first.....im glad i put in my 7 years ugh.....
ocean37
on 6/23/09 8:16 am - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13
My doctor sent my first referral in early Feb...By late March it was not received so I emailed Diana and she gave me a new fax number....I emailed her later and asked if it has been received and she said yes but I would not be hearing from her until around 2011....I am HOPING it will only be 2 more years
Kim_1970
on 7/10/09 11:05 am - dartmouth, Canada
I did here there was another doctor training to do the sleeve so maybe if it is true the list myay get shorter I am waiting for the call about my surgery good luck I will let you know if I hear anything else
Most Active