Where do I start......

beautifulinside
on 3/10/09 2:43 pm - Lantz, Canada

I am considering surgery but I don't know where to start. I have tried every diet that is out there and just can't seem to get the weight off. So please help me and tell me where to start.......

MooseheadsII
on 3/12/09 2:07 am - Halifax, Canada
Go to the Capital District Health website http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/ and click on Health A-Z and then Obesity Network. You will find lots of information of the bariatric surgery being offered in Halifax there. Talk with your doctor, and research as much as possible. Bariatric surgery can very well save lives, but it should not be used in lieu of a diet. I WILL dramatically change your life and as such, is something you need to spend time preparing for, if you do decide this is the route to follow. Mind you, the waiting list, gives us all more time than we'd care to have to think about it. But I highly recommend doing your research, knowing what you're getting into and what the benefits and risks are before making a decision that will have such a huge impact on the rest of your life.
This board doesn't get a lot of use - more people post on the New Brunswick forum b/****il recently we didn't have a bariatric surgeon in Halifax. We are having support group meetings in Halifax every 2nd month now. If you want to get involved with those please do. You'll meet others like you who haven't had surgery yet as well as people who have had surgery and get to share in their experiences. They post meeting dates on the Obesity Network at the CHDA website.
Shirley
csauer
on 3/17/09 8:14 pm - Middle Sackville, Canada
Hi, you are at the right place to start researching wls. For me,  this website has been a great source of information and support. Of course you will research the Halifax website. The next meeting of the self-help-group will be in April. Even if you are still considering other options, I would recommend that you get on the wait list . You can always get off it, but  it is so long (I heard they have 1500 people waiting now), the sooner you get on it, the better. Research other options, too, even self-pay, if you can afford it (see my profile). It is important that you research all the surgery options and consider which one would suit you best, because each has its pros and cons.
I had the gastric bypass in India 3 years ago and I would do it over again in a heartbeat!
Good luck to you!
Christine
jmer842
on 3/18/09 12:26 pm - Canada
good advise here, speak to your doctor, he/she will do the referal.good for you to start here, the folks on the board are the best support. I was done Feb 3rd.

Believe in yourself, good things will happen

Most Active