How long di you have to wait?

fjl
on 11/17/08 6:32 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the group and I was wondering how long it takes to get a referral from a GP to a surgeon and then to actually meet with the surgeon for WLS.
fjl
sherry F.
on 11/17/08 7:32 am - sydney, XX
Hi fjl, I am also from Sydney. It would depend on what type of WLS you are considering. I had Lap Band surgery 1 year ago in Moncton. I waited 2 years approx when my referal went in.
fjl
on 11/22/08 1:41 am - Sydney, Canada
Thanks for the reponse Sherry.  We'll see what my GP says when I bring it up next week.
fjl
beaverblue
on 11/28/08 3:24 am - Canada
Hi, I am from the Antigonish area. I was referred early in September to Dr. Ellesmere in Halifax. I got a letter saying I was among the next 100 people who qualify for WLS. They arranged for my information session on October 31 in Halifax. Unfortunately, I was flying to Ontario to visit my sister who is battling cancer on the 29th. The coordiantor was excellent and set me up to be in the next session in February. So although February feels a long way away, it really is not. So, ultimately, it did not take very long at all. I was on Dr. MacDonald's list, however for over two years before he retired.  Halifax does Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery if that is what you are interested in. Hope any of this info. helps and feel free to drop a line anytime. Cheers, Sugarbear

debbietlc
on 12/2/08 10:37 am - Glace Bay, Canada
Hi, I am from the Glace Bay ares and I have been on Dr. Beausoleil list in NB for 2 yrs now but I am very close to my first appointment (possibly this month or Jan '09) and I'm considering RNY - Gastric Bypass Surgery. I have alot of health issues and a BMI of 52 so I am a good candidate for this surgery my physician tells me. My Dr. sent a letter to MSI for me as well and I am appoved for the surgery.

I also received a letter from Halifax but I could not go due to very little notice (2 day notice) and couldn't make the trip as I have 2 babies to take with me. I am on the list for Halifax in February as well but I believe I will be sticking with Dr. B in NB for I waited this long to see him so what is another month or so. Good luck in your research and decision. I am very happy to see a surgeon in Halifax for this is a long time coming and about time someone get this started for its needed so badly in NS. take care
ladyslipper
on 1/12/09 9:05 am - moncton, Canada
It is good to hear such positive results.  I was told 5 to 13 yrs by my doctor!  But, by the sounds of this most of you are reporting info sessions and surgeries over a 2 yr span.  This is great news. I have been waiting almost 2yrs now.. with a BMI of 54 - although I have No issues ( blood pressure, ect ), I get the feeling my Doctor is not a big fan of the proceedure and when he puts me on the scale and says, "good job, You only gained 1 pound over the holidays " ... I think, OMG, Another Pound !!  I have started to look into paying for surgery myself, but that seems almost impossible as well, and Very expensive!  Thank You, Thank You for giving me Hope once again that My turn may be closer than I think.   Can't Wait...
maggie L.
on 1/13/09 11:46 pm - Willio Grove, Canada
Good luck with your search. Before I developed diabetes, N.B. medicare refused me approval for wls. They said with no co morbidities I was not a candidate for the province to pay for me. If I wanted wls, I would have to pay for it myself. Then i developed diabetes and had a heart attack so that qualified me. Hopefully N.S. has a more accessable health care than we do.
Most Active