Information Session in Halifax

debbietlc
on 11/2/08 7:51 am - Glace Bay, Canada
I recieved a letter on an information session in Halifax for Oct 31 and I couldn't make it as I live 5 hrs away and didn't have much notice. Can anyone tell me even though I didn't make this session does this mean I am not on any list to have Gastric Bypass. I've been waiting for years and years for this and it would be so disappointing to think I will not be on a waiting list now :( 

Question: Can anyone tell me after getting surgery do I need to take any time off work? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Debb from the Cape.... :)
beaverblue
on 11/2/08 3:43 pm - Canada
Hey Debbie, they certainly did not give us much notice. I only rec'd my letter on Wednesday to go for Friday, Oct 31.  I called and explained to the coordinator that I couldn't make it due to my being in Ontario until Monday.  (actually I am still there)  So, she booked me for February. She said he was doing an information session in February around the 27 but she will confirm the date in the new year.  So, please call the coordinator at the number on your letter and explain your situation and I am sure she will put you on the Feb. list. I am not sure about how much time we need off but I think, based on if you heavy lift, it would be at least 2 weeks.  We will meet in February and all of our questions will be answered. BUT  remember to write them down between now and then.  Read lots of the messages from everyone else and you will learn so much. Maybe we can even travel to Halifax together. I live near Antigonish. Hope all this helps. Cheers, Sugarbear

debbietlc
on 11/3/08 7:22 am - Glace Bay, Canada
Thank you so much for your replies everyone. I will continue to read and see how much info I can gather before the next consultation meeting; hopefully in February or sooner :) I am interested in knowing if I need anytime off work after the procedure from those who already had the operation for Gastric Bypass Surgery. Have a great day everyone, Debbie
Jacqueline Mercer
on 11/18/08 9:00 am - Canada
Sorry, missed one of your questions, they told us in the meeting that it will be 4 weeks then life goes back to normal working etc.
Tabi
on 1/25/09 5:54 am - Kentville, Canada
Hi, I was wondering do you have to have recived a letter to be able to attend this information session in halifax? I have bben stuck with my family doc but sure would like to attend this session both my hubbie and I are trying to get surgery done. I just got the doctors phone numbers so my doctor can't make anymore excueses on why he didn't send the refurral. lol we too have a way to travel but not as far as you. Thanks all
beaverblue
on 1/25/09 9:17 pm - Canada
Hi Tabi, as far as I can tell, the letter we recieved is an actual invitation based on our referral. Unfortunately, this information session is closed to those who were referred. The letter said they were doing 100 surgeries this year.  You really should get onto your family doctor about this. It is important to you obviously, so it should be important to him.  I will fill you in further after the information session with any questions you may have. You should hang out on the New Brunswick Board as it is more active and thus more informative than the Nove Soctia one.

Cheers, Sugarbear
novascotiadawn
on 11/5/08 6:45 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I heavy lift and took six weeks!

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Jacqueline Mercer
on 11/18/08 8:59 am - Canada
Hi Debbie, I am from Glace Bay as well, had I known, I would have taken you along with me. I attended the information session, we met the team.  the room was packed, I do not know how they decide who is first etc, but they did a wonderful job of explaining the surgery.  Then after I got home, I got an email to give evaluation.  I sent that in, then got a phone call within a week, blood work is next, then another apointment in Halifax with the clinic for Dec 9th.  I am on the short list, but no surgery date given yet.  Hope it helped.
Most Active