A Lap Band Support Group!!?? or weight loss surgery in general

maggie7
on 8/11/08 10:08 pm - Centerville, Canada
Are there people interested in a support group for lap band? If so please let me know at [email protected] I am in the Kentville area.
mrsbish
on 8/18/08 10:27 pm - Dartmouth, Canada
Can someone give me info on the whole procedure? I am in Dartmouth, do I need a referral from my GP? What do I tell him needs to be said. What is the name of the local surgeon? What is the cost? Are you SURE MSI covers this? How long is the wait? etc..... Thanks for any help
paramedic
on 8/20/08 8:40 am - Coldbrook, Canada
hi Donna I see that you are interested in the band. Let me tell you the band is the best way to go. The band is customed to your requirements. I is totaly reversable. There are a couple options that are open to you. 1 you can try to get to see Dr Bouleasue he works in Moncton NB the draw back is that there is a 3-6 year waiting list. 2 The next option is to get your own finacing then you can have it done one your own schedual. I was able to get my own financing. I went to Toronto Dr Chris Cobourn, Surgical Weight Loss Center. He has been a fabulous doctor and he has been there from the begining. His staff is great if you have a question they return your call or e-mail. One thing about wt loss surg is to do your reseach. Educate yourself so you pick the best option that will help you the best. To answer your other question. If you go to NB you will need a Dr's referral. If you are going to self pay you do not need a doctors referral but you will need some blood work and a small medical. I believe that if you truely have aa wt issue then your doc should help you all the way. Most doc's do not know about the lapband so they need to be educated. So what info you find give him a copy so he can learn about it also. As for any lap band surg in NS the answer is nope. They have started to do bi-pass again As for MSI covering the cost. If you are having it done in NB they will pay for the appointments and hosp/surg but you have to pay for the band which will run you about 5-6000.00. If you are self paying you will pay $16,000.00-17,000.00 pending on what surgeon you choose. As for the waiting time I already answered that one If you go to NB 3-6 years. Self pay you can have it done in a couple of months. One thing is you choose to go out of province DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!. Check out what they have established for after care. I do after care for Dr Cobourn's center. Hope this answers your questions. Good luck in your journey. Laurie
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 11:51 am - Canada
Hi I live near Moncton, NB and am searching for a support group. I had the lapband in Dec. of 2009.  Would be interested in attending future meeting. Need help to lose the last 30 lbs. I am struggling. Thanks
csauer
on 8/31/08 1:33 am - Middle Sackville, Canada

Hi, I haven't been in obesityhelp for a while, there is another group for maritime weight loss patients in yahoo groups search for maritime_bariatric_patients.
We had several support group meetings in each other's houses, the next one is today at 2 at our house, we'll be around 5 people. sorry, I should have posted it on this website, too. I'll post the next meeting on obesityhelp.com. I had gastric bypass in India in 2006 and my husband had the lapband in Montreal in 2007.
Hope you all are doing good!
Christine

Most Active