Questions for the group

lpenney
on 1/6/08 2:49 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
Hello Everyone, I am very close to making final arrangements to get the lap band privately in Toronto ($16,000). I have tried different avenues around Halifax but with the long weight times and lack of programs, I believe I am not going to wait any longer. I do have a few questions? - did anyone claim the receipts on there income tax, approx. how much did you get back? - has anyone regretted getting the lap band and why? Thank you, Leslie Penney Eastern Passage, NS
sprout
on 1/6/08 8:23 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Leslie I had the band in Toronto and I also paid the $16,000. I have been told I can claim it and I will get around 1/3 of it back. I was banded in July so I havent done income tax yet. Someone told me that you get your Dr. to write a letter saying the surgery was necessary and that it couldn't be done here in NS. As far as regretting the surgery, I certainly can't say that! I was done on July 3rd and it was the greatest thing I have ever done! I have now lost 96 pounds and have never felt better. I do diet along with the band but it is so much easier because you don't get hungry and not only that you feel full with so much less food. I also started swimming for an hour about 6 days a week, ( I choose swimming because of joint problems) and I have so much more energy! I think the band has been the best thing to happen to me but I know it has not worked for everyone. I hope you will be 100% sure before you have the surgery because it is a big decision and it does cost a lot of money. Have you been in touch with the clinic and spoken to the Dr. ? I'm sure what ever decision you make will be the right one for you. As far as the waiting time I only had to wait for about 5 weeks and that was because I wanted to wait until school was finished for the summer. I actually choose my date, I could have had it a bit sooner, which is such a change from here as I asked my Dr. to make an apt for me in Moncton in June 2006 and I haven't heard from them yet. Again I am sure whatever decision you make will be the right on for you but feel free to contact me if you want or have any other questions. Sheri
lpenney
on 1/7/08 5:48 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
Hi Sheri, Thank you for the information. I am approx. 95% there in booking my appt. I am just in the process of working on the financing. I started Weigh****chers today and in the past year have been up approx. 35 lbs. It is very depressing! I am hopefull with the combination of eating right and less I can get this weight off. Thanks for your information! Leslie
csauer
on 1/9/08 7:18 am - Middle Sackville, Canada
Hi, we claimed it on our income tax. You need a letter from your physician stating that it was necessary and not done in NS. You get back 15.25% of the amount that is more than 3% (max. ca. 1800) of your net income. Don't forget to claim the travel expenses!
paramedic
on 1/16/08 2:55 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Leslie You can claim your travel expensives also. Any meds you will need during your recovery. I can't remember if I was able to use my private medical to pay for the perscriptions Dr C gives you after your surgery. I will let you know on that point. If you rent a car or you choose to drive you can claim all of that. I had an accountant to do mine, atleast I knew I was going to get everything that I was suppose to. As for regetting getting the band and if all goes well get it back again I have only one I wish I did it sooner. This little peice of silicone work wonders. The aches and pains from your joint hurting all the time. The feeling you get well you do not have to shop in the ++ section anymore I can go on and on. I was the best gift that I could give to myself. Can't wait to do it again. Keep the faith Laurie
Sherry C.
on 1/16/08 11:41 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
Hi Leslie, I live in Eastern Passage as well! I had Gastric Bypass surgery done in Moncton on November 20th, 2007. I tried to get the surgery done in Halifax in 2005 , but because of the long wait times decided to go the list for Moncton. Fom start to fini**** was less than 2 years for me , I was quite lucky. I have 2 good friends , one had VGB in Halifax in 2005 , the other had Lap Band in Moncton in the same year just a few months later. Each type of procedure has it's good and bad points anfd for me I picked the one that I knew I would have the most success with. So far I have lost 45 lbs in ten weeks , 35 since my surgery. It is not leaps and bounds but I am pleased and I will be more active once the weather gets a little better. Good luck in your decision. Sherry
Most Active