First hurdle passed!

Dr.WilliamGraber
on 7/13/07 1:11 am
Hi Deborah, My understanding is that the province will not pay for this operation at all. We have a pt from Nova Scotia. They have a secondary insurence and we will be working to make this affordable for them. We have many canadian pt from Ontario. We charge 18, 500 (US) which covers everything but that is still a lot of money. goodluck, Dr. Graber Utica, NY 315-6244-4740
sprout
on 7/13/07 11:50 pm - kingston, Canada
HI I had my lap banding done in Mississauga Ont. the cost was 16 thousand. I'm pleased and the fills can be done in Halifax. I can also claim it on my income taxes, or so the clinic told me, maybe because it was done in Canada? Sheri
Dr.WilliamGraber
on 7/15/07 10:57 am
HI Sheri, I'm glad it is is working for you. keep up the good work Dr. Graber
Deborah M.
on 7/15/07 1:17 pm - Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, as expected, MSI denied coverage. They'll cover GBS for Dr Beausoleil in New Brnswick. Period. Sigh. I applied through my secondary medical benefits plan (through work). Now listen to this. Last week I received approval for lap band surgery out of country. I'd never asked for lap band surgery, so how I had approval is beyond me. I e-mailed copies of all the correspondence I've sent/received to date, every piece of which refers to GBS. They called me Friday to say they won't cover GBS out of country at all. I asked why, and was advised that under the terms of my policy, MSI had to be willing to fund part of the cost of any surgery out of country (they won't), THEN my secondary insurance plan would cover as well. Now what's odd about this is that MSI does NOT cover out-of-country lap band at all! So how on earth did they manage to approve THAT for out of country? Too bizarre. Anyway, I've requested they put their decision in writing and forward the full insurance policy, both of which they've agreed to do, and I'll be taking all my documentation to an insurance lawyer for advice as soon as they arrive. Just a suggestion to others fighting the fight, check your work-related medical benefits policy...or your husband's...or your wife's...keep fighting!! Must say Christine, $15,000 for TWO people for two weeks in India with all accommodation, flights etc included certainly sounds more palatable than $20,000 US (roughly $21,000 Cdn) which does not include any travel, accommodations etc etc. I'm so pleased to know you've doen so well, and speak so highly of your experience there. I'll update as the saga continues. One way or another, this surgery WILL happen. Deborah.
Dr.WilliamGraber
on 7/15/07 9:35 pm
Hi Deborah, You are right, nothing here makes any sence. Just a word on Bands. We do lap bands but it is important to know that the weight loss is no where near that of gastric bypass, its much slower than gastric bypass and it doe snot have the hormanla benifits that are just begining to be worked out. god luck Dr. Graber 315-624-4740
Most Active