HELP!!!!!!

BiginManitoba
on 11/13/06 4:09 am - Canada
Hi I am looking for a doctor that does the gastric bypass surgery. So far almost every place I have called has a waiting list that is over 5 years. I have congestive heart failure and am over weight and have be recommended by my heart doctor to get this done so I live longer. But I don't know if I can wait over 5 years to get it done. Can any body give me a number I can call or even give me some info that they know of on waiting lists or how long or anything. I have already been aproved by my Medical to get the operation done I just need some facts. If someone can help it would help me. thank you.
bandbaby
on 11/17/06 7:12 am - Pictou, Canada
Hi Lori, I don't know of any doctors in Canada that have shorter wait lists than this. There is no doctors in NS performing this surgery now. Would lapband be an option for you? It is not covered by insurance but is a great deductible on your taxes. You can have this surgery within 2 months tops. A great surgeon is Dr. Cobourn he is in Ontario. My wait was less than a month! Good luck with your search! Oh also, you may want to check on out of country possibilities. The only RNY surgeons I know in the states were in North Carolina but I am sure that Maine or Boston, MA would have some shorter wait times if lapband is not a possibility for you. Beverly
csauer
on 11/29/06 10:59 pm - Middle Sackville, Canada
Hi, I couldn't wait 5 years either and had gastric bypass done laparoscopically in India with very good results. I lost 100 lbs since March. I had to pay for it myself, though, with flight and stay for 3 weeks for 2 people it cost us about 15,000, the same as for the lapband in Ontario. I am very happy I did it. If you want more info, contact me.
paramedic
on 12/3/06 5:25 am - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Lori; It it truly a shame that patients at risk are left with so little options. I to had the lap-band and I truly believe it was the best option. The recovery time is very short only a couple of day. It is easy to live with . It is the only baiatric surgery procedure that is totally reversible. If you are fortunate to secure personal financing then you have the freedom to choose where and when. Good luck. If you have any questions ask away. Laurie
my3angels
on 5/28/07 12:58 am - HAMILTON, Canada
hi I live in Ontario, you could consider going to the states. People here have been approved and had their surgery in a couple of months. It would beat waiting to have it done in Canada. if you need anynore info come to the Ontario board and maybe some there could be of more help take care Carol
Most Active