Psst. . .diet secrets. . .wanna share?

lisfor
on 12/20/05 1:14 am - New York, NY
Lap Band on 05/11/09 with
Hello fellow boardies--here I am in freezing strike-bound NYC, and just thought I'd post. . . Sometimes the thing that keeps me from eating in ways I don't want to eat is just creativity--thinking my way around it. Other times it's more difficult, and I find I can use certain tricks to keep myself from overeating. I thought I'd share a few, and see if anyone else wanted to add on. . . Here they are: 1. sugar free jello. Absolutely the easiest thing to grab for when I would love something sweet, but don't really think I should be eating. I keep the ready-made type in the fridge. soup--when very hungry--even clear chicken broth and miso soup can work wonders, and keep me from eating more than I would choose at a meal. . . 2. hot tea with a little 1% milk (same deal--but helpful after meals when i still feel like eating) 3. reduced fat sour cream (1 teaspoon makes some very ordinary foods extremely enjoyable)--e.g. certain lean cuisines, cottage cheese,and I make vegetable pancakes sometimes (shredded vegetables, and a tiny bit of batter to hold it together--fry in pam) 4. Sashimi. okay, not everyone loves raw fish, but it works for me, and it's pretty much pure protein. If you order it with ponzu sauce, you don't have to eat so much water-retaining soy. 5. greek salads. NYC is full of make-your-own salad places. I order greens with just a little feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions. No oil, just e balsamic vinegar. And, okay, this is weird, but I keep my own anchovies and oregano at my desk (which is what make a greek salad taste like one). 1 anchovie, some oregano, and it's good to go. Filling, yummy, and anchovies, I'm told, are good for you because of the fish oil. 6. Okay, and again, not everyone will agree with me on this, but splenda. 7. Seltzer water. I mix it with a little lemon or a dash of another juice, and it's delicious and feels like a treat. . . Anyone else feel like sharing with a very cold New Yorker with no subways or buses? Happy holidays, all!! liz 258/210/208(temp goal)/?
Donnamarie
on 12/20/05 7:47 am - NY
Hi there Liz and thankfully I am upstate from you and don't have to worry how I get around. In my neck of the woods if you ask someone how long it takes to get there they say "20 minutes". It's 20 minutes to the mall, 20 minutes to the OTHER mall, 20 minutes to the school, 20 minutes to the movies. Well you get the idea I like your ideas and yes I have become creative. Most of the time I spend so much time figuring out what to eat that I get tired and end up eating nothing at all. Hey, another creative way not to overeat!!! I have found that a small cup of chicken broth helps when there is a salty craving. However, this comes with a disclaimer. Don't weigh yourself the next day if you are someone who might retain water. I hope the MTA strike is over soon and you guys are mobile again!! Donna
Laurel
on 12/22/05 5:47 am - Glassboro, NJ
One of my most difficult things to give up was cookies. I am absolutely positively addicted to biscotti cookies. Real hard and crunchy. Chocolate dipped, or covered with walnuts, or soaked in Amoretta, or even plain. I had them for breakfast, snacks, and every night after dinner with coffee. Unfortunately, I'm an excellent baker, and I can whip up a batch of biscotti with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back. Well, seven weeks, and 30 pounds less on a totally new food plan....and I created a substitute for the biscottis. Each morning, I have a raw apple....peeled, sliced, and covered (and I mean covered) in splenda and cinnamon. After dinner, I have it again with a dollop of fat free cool whip. It's sweet and crunchy AND it tastes like a pseudo pastry because of the cinnamon flavor. If you ever feel like you need a tasty dessert but don't want to be mad at yourself after the fact, try it....it's really really good. Take Care, Laurel
lisfor
on 12/23/05 6:10 am - New York, NY
Lap Band on 05/11/09 with
That sounds great, Laurel. What a good idea! Thanks. It reminds me of my fruit cobbler recipe. One half crumbled child's biscuit (like a uneeda biscuit) with fruit and splenda, then microwaved, and served with a tiny bit of whipped cream. Enjoy your holiday, friends. liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views