Hello non post-ops

Sylvia B
on 12/4/05 12:55 am - Beaufort, SC
Hello to all that are doing it the old fashion way. I have been on the Main and light weights boards for some time now. I just found this board after searching for people who chose not to have surgery. I was so totally psyced about having surgery and being thin but lost the fight after 2 denial because I am 5lbs under the required 100 mark. I feel so let down but in the same breath am relieved....I can't quit explain it. I was excersising vigourasly 4 days a week for 3 1/2 months because I wanted to be in the best shap possible before surgery. Now that I know I am not having surgery, I have really slacked off and really feel kind of like a failure....So strange because deep down, I know I can do this on my own. Anyway, I lost about 10 pounds in that 15 week period of watching everything I ate, excersising like crazy, no sodas, no caffiene, lots and lots of water, I even quite smoking back in June in preperation. I am really having a hard time justifying all this rigurous working out with only a 10lb weight loss!! Yes, I feel better, accept for my horrible knees and back. And that stupid gall bladder that still has to come out. But I just don't feel motivated anymore. I know this was just a rant but thanks for being here. I really needed to get that out of my system - and head. I have been holding it in for so long.
mrsjamesdean
on 12/4/05 2:20 am - midway, NC
Hello Sylvia, I'm new here as well so I may not have many words of wisdom for you, but I can tell you that the people on this board are incredibly friendly and supportive and I wish you all the best.
Donnamarie
on 12/4/05 2:57 am - NY
Hi there Sylvia and welcome to the Non ops board. It's interesting you talk about your 15 week period of conditioning. I know how frustrating it is to work so hard for so long and only to lose 10 pounds. I did it myself so I truly know. Last summer (2004) I also began a program. It was South Beach Diet and I was psyched to do it. I was working out every day just like you and I was feeling amazing. My clothes were looser, I had a ton of energy and my moods were very positive. After 8 weeks of being on the program I visited my doctor. Due to the looseness of my clothing and the amazing way I felt I was positive that I would see a dramatic weight loss. I thought 40, 50 pounds even!!! I was 343 when I began and the vision of me perhaps falling below 300 was vivid in my mind. I stepped on the scale and was horrified to realize I had only lost 10 pounds. I broke into tears right then and slumped into a funk. No matter how everyone tried to tell me that feeling better was enough, and the clothes being looser was enough, it just wasn't enough. I began my current program on July 7, 2005. I went to a three week checkup with my doctor and realized I had lost 20 pounds. I had done the same eating regimen as I had done a year before but I hadn't done ANY exercise at all. I was excited to have lost the 20 pounds in only 3 weeks, but let me tell you something. I didn't feel nearly as "small" as I did when I had only lost 10 pounds but had been working out. I guess what I am trying to say is that we can't always measure our "success" by those damn numbers. To date I have lost 80 pounds. While that number excites me, it doesn't define me. My doctor said that I should be able to get to 160. I don't see that, but I have set a goal for myself of 200 pounds. That is only 60 more pounds but they are coming off more slowly now. I have set a realistic forecast to lose the remaining weight by my one year anniversay on July 7, 2006. Sylvia, you quit smoking, stopped all bad habits, exercised and made your body healthy!!!! That is absolutely AMAZING!!!!! That is something you should be so very proud of. I can understand how the 10 pound weight loss was frustrating but think of all the wonderful ways you made yourself more healthy. Everyone here knows how hard it is to follow any weight loss program. Please come back and gain support here, as we all do from one another! Donna
Phyll H
on 12/4/05 3:59 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 08/04/08 with
Hello Sylvia, Welcome to the Non-op board........ We all have are stories to share about are weight battles and roadblocks... We all have been there.......You have found the right place..... Just jump right on in and join us....... Again, welcome.... Phyllis
Jessica D.
on 12/4/05 5:18 am - Edmonds, WA
Doesn't it just blow your mind how hard you work for those few pounds of weight loss?? Please trust, Sylvia, that the work you are doing matters. Weight loss is a long and truly arduous process, and it is just that: a process. I wish I could say that I didn't get into a horrible funk when the scale slaps some numbers at me that I'm not ready for. So many of us step on that scale and, no matter how faithful we've been with our diet and exercise, we allow that scale to dictate to us how we will feel about our progress. I'm glad you found this messageboard. Every person here can relate to your story. I want you to think about what you HAVE accomplished these past 3 1/2 months. Wow!! Getting yourself on an exercise plan: that is huge!!! Dumping the soda: Big time calorie slasher!!! And quitting smoking: YOU ROCK-- BIG TIME!!! You've done some amazing things, and I sure hope you give yourself credit for how far you've come. Your scale cannnot even begin to reward you for all that you have accomplished! So let's work on giving you the that you truly deserve! The calories burned from exercise are cumulative: basically, if you stick to the exercise routine, and work on your portion control, the weight will come off. I have lost 52 pounds since June, and it was a slow and NOT TOO STEADY loss. Some weeks, water retention twarts all efforts---until you realize that just because the scale doesn't reflect the weight loss, doesn't mean that it doesn't exisit! How does one lose 12 pounds in two days? We have a pre-menstral water flush, and BAM--the weight I lost exercising, coupled with a huge water weight flush knocks off 12 pounds!! The scale is but a mere number cruncher: the way your clothes fit and how strong you feel is the true testament to how hard you're working. Bottom line is, get up and do it; with or without motivation--do it anyway. Let me tell you, if I had to wait for motivation to get this butt movin', I'd still be at 302 pounds, instead of 250#... Come back often and talk to us. Don't carry around the burden: dump it on this board so you can get on with your weight loss plan!! You are not alone. Jessica 302/250/175
Sylvia B
on 12/5/05 5:39 pm - Beaufort, SC
Thank you all for you kind words of support and encouragement. I really needed that.
Kasey
on 12/8/05 10:42 am - Baltimore, MD
Sylvia, I'm sorry I'm so late responding, but I only just saw your post. Years ago, I started walking for exercise, then swimming laps, then started taking aerobics classes. After a year, I added weightlifting. I was exercising three to five hours a week. I felt great. And I did not lose one pound! I remember sitting in my doctor's office, sobbing, asking how this was possible. He insisted that I must have been eating more, even though I was certain I had not. I continued to exercise at that pace, despite the lack of weight loss. About six years ago, I hurt my knee while working out of the recumbent stationary bike. About the same time, I also developed severe depression (not because of the knee injury). I did not resume exercise after my knee healed. In one year, I gained 80 pounds. So I guess the exercise kept me from gaining. My point (and I do have one), is that those of us who are morbidly or supermorbidly obese have to work twice as hard to lose. It's not enough to "watch everything I eat." We have to count calories (or carbs or fat or Weigh****chers points) obsessively. I'm sure exactly what "excersising vigourasly 4 days a week" means, but I've found that if I don't exercise an average of at least an hour a day (and mostly it's at least 90 minutes daily), I'll gain. So even though you've done tremendously well (especially quitting smoking -- woohoo!), I fear you might have to step your efforts up a bit to continue your success. Best of luck. Kasey 365/210 (nonop)
CarolinaGirl270
on 12/9/05 8:59 am
Hey Sylvia, I never even knew this board existed--I have been on the Main and SC local board. Wow--to have a do-it-yourself board on a WLS site is AWSOME!! I just had a baby 7 months ago and while I was preg. I got gestational diabetes and she put me on a GREAT diet. I had to do it to keep my blood sugar stable but I only gained 5lbs and immediately after I had her I lost 20lbs--of course I started eating a lot of carbs again and gained it back but I have told 3 people about this at work and they love it too. The numbers represent grams of carbs per meal--and no white refined products, just fresh "real" food. (one piece of bread has 15 carbs--this is a handy "eyeball" guide.) This is great and no deprivation Breakfast--20 snack-15 Lunch--30-40 snack-15 Dinner--40-50 snack-15
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views