A Revelation

Lynette
on 10/28/05 9:51 pm - Cookeville, TN
I just had a revelation the other day. People have all kinds of health issues. Some people have diabetes, high cholesterol, heart problems, etc. Obesity is my health issue. Just like a diabetic has to restrict their diet for the rest of their life, I am going to have to restrict my diet to keep from gaining weight. It is not a punishment, but something I want to do to be the healthiest that I can be. Obesity will always be a potential problem for me. I have to accept that fact and monitor my weight closely. Also, I am trying to appreciate the good things about my body. I have great eyesight and hearing. I've never had a problem with diabetes or high cholesterol. I have strong muscles (I've noticed at the gym I am using much more weight resistance than other women-- and even some men). I've learned that is important to take care of your health and to appreciate your body. Happy Halloween! Stay away from the chocolate. Lynette
Donnamarie
on 10/28/05 10:49 pm - NY
Hi Lynette Early on in my profile I had the same revelation. I realized that I would NEVER be able to eat like a normal person. I would always be required to watch what I ate and keep track of it, as you said, much like a diabetic for the rest of my life. I realized early on that I would never be able to sit down with a half gallon of icecream and eat just two or three spoons under the auspice of not having to wash a bowl. I realized that I would never be able to visit the thruway rest stops and buy a 4 pack of Cinnabons with the belief that I would eat just one. I know that I will never be able to open a bag of cookies and just measure out the serving size. These realizations came to me as I started my program. I am not normal when it comes to food. My brain doesn't treat food the same as a person who eats to live. I live to eat, and that's a severe problem. I thank you for this incredible post because even though the WLS board states that a person will one day be able to eat "normal" foods I'm afraid that it just one more thing that separates me from the post-ops. Have a beautiful day and Happy Halloween. The candy was $1.49, so cheap, but I didn't fool myself this year. We never get kids to come here. Even though I have not "cheated" in 4 months the same thought processes were present when I tried to justify buying candy that would only be eaten by my family!!!! Slow to change but getting there. Donna
Kasey
on 10/31/05 7:43 am - Baltimore, MD
Yes, Lynette, we all have our crosses to bear. It certainly frustrates me that I can't eat like the skinny little thing in Starbucks who gets whipped cream on her latte AND a pastry. But this is the body I have. Other people have asthma, allergies, MS, lupus and myriad others. They have to make adjustments in their lives all the time, too. Best of luck. Kasey 365/215/195 (nonop)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views