Exercise and the scale

Donnamarie
on 10/16/05 1:53 am - NY
Hi there everyone I no longer measure my successes by the numbers on the scale. I measure it by how I feel, how much more positive my outlook is, how my clothes fit and how mu*****ontrol I am of the food that I eat. That being said, however, one of the very tangible items that I measure my progress by is the numbers on the scale. I like stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers going down. When I did the same program some time last summer I was feeling great, wonderful. Clothes were fitting better and I couldn't wait to go to the doctor and weigh in. When I went and discovered I had only lost 10 lbs I was devastated. Suddenly I forgot how good I felt, how much energy I had and how wonderful my clothes were fitting. That number was enough to set me into a tailspin, off of my program and back to square one. While I have come a LONG way in my head since then I still admit to a guilty pleasure in seeing the numbers come down. So here is the real question. While I realize that muscle does not weigh more than fat, a pound is a pound, I understand that muscle is more dense and while building it it may stall the losing process as far as numbers as concerned. Is this a temporary situation? I know that lean muscle increases the rate of metabolism and helps burn fat. I also know that we can burn lean muscle, what we have, if "dieting" continues in earnest without exercise being added. I want to continue losing "numbers" on the scale, but also know the benefits of the whole picture, being healthy and whole. I have a membership at a gym, a good one, that I pay for every month and don't use. I am tired of making excuses why I am not going there and having downtime that I just sit here on the computer reading the OH board. I am actually going to start again tomorrow night. I am picking up my son after work and we are going straight there. I am not sure what I am going to do right off. He can only swim because he is too young to be on the machines, and I may start there with him. I would like input if anyone has it. Currently I do arm exercises (7 exercises, 10 reps each) with 3 pound weights and then 100 crunches an evening. That is the extend of my "exercise" regimen so far. Thanks for any help. Donna
Lynette
on 10/16/05 2:08 am - Cookeville, TN
Hi Donna, I think that my workout has been a key part of keeping the numbers on the scale going down. Yes, I think I have gained muscle, but the calories that I burn from my cardio workout contribute to my weight loss. I do a 45 minute Pilates DVD every morning. That has really help tone and tighten my midsection. My rule is that I have to go to the YMCA at least 3 evenings a week. I usually make it 5, but if something comes up that I can't go one night, then I don't feel guilty. I do 45 minutes on an ellipitical trainer and about 30 minutes on weight machines that focus on triceps, inner thighs, and abs. As far as the scale goes, I weigh every morning and every evening. My weight is about 2 pounds heavier in the evenings. But I know that is normal for me. I think working out has made me so much healthier. Lynette
Donnamarie
on 10/16/05 2:50 am - NY
Thank you Lynette I know that is what I needed to hear. I'm just afraid that I am going to end up at this weight and have a ton of muscles. I know that is unreasonable at best, women don't have the capacity to develop muscles like that (at least in most cases). I know the advantages of exercise for so many different reasons. I am just enjoying this weight loss and would hate for it to stop. Perhaps I will stay off the scale for a few weeks when I start, so that I don't get discouraged. Thanks for responding. Donna
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/05 9:10 am - MA
Hi Donna! Did you make it back to the gym this week? How was it? My exercise physiologist says that most obese people actually have a good deal of muscle because they're carrying around so much extra weight that they strength train just by carrying out daily activities. Aerobic exercise (cardio) is key to maximizing fat loss, and we should be aiming for 30-60 minutes a day. I'd recommend working with a exercise phyiologist or even a personal trainer to figure out your ideal heart rate zone, and then purchase a heart rate monitor. I've got a cheap one and it's been a lifesaver in helping me figure out what intensity I need to be at. Good luck! ~Jen 295/241/135
Donnamarie
on 10/20/05 9:23 am - NY
Jen, YES!!! I did make it back to the gym beginning Monday. I have gone Monday and Wednesday so far and I am going again tomorrow night. I started back on the elliptical which was by far my favorite machine. However, after 7 minutes the inside of my right knee was screaming for me to stop! I had to stop and then I headed toward the nautilius circuit and a trainer I knew there. I talked to Mary about my goals which of course include strengthening my knees and reducing body fat. I also told her about my fear of "gaining" muscle and having the scale not go down. She talked to me about the fact that one pound of muscle burns 50 calories and one pound of fat burns 3. Welllllllll, say no more. I proceeded to the circuit where I did all the machines and this time I really felt it!!!! When I was almost 70 pounds heavier for some reason I was able to move the weights, even heavier weights, much more easily. This time for some reason I really really felt the resistance. It makes sense about what you said about muscle and extra fat. Perhaps as I lose my muscle mass lessens as well, and therefore now I feel the "burn"?? I used to think I knew everything there was to know about diet and exercise. Who in the WORLD was I fooling? I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike yesterday, which while not as aggressive as the elliptical did in fact give me a reasonable workout. I did the circuit again and it felt really good. I enjoyed going and I was happy that I could take my son with me for his swimming in the pool, which he is in need of as well. I will work on my heart rate zone so I know if I am exercising effectively. Thank you Jen for your post. And awesome on your journey!!!! Donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views