Help with preop weight loss

Kat1313
on 9/14/12 7:26 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Hi, everyone
My name is Kathy.  I'm planning on having RNY surgery, probably around the first of the year.  Meanwhile, I have to do a 3 month physician supervised diet.  I started out really well, lost 6 lbs., and then just fell off the wagon and regained the lost weight, all in the space of 2 weeks.

I am feeling so down and discouraged right now. How am I ever going to adhere to the eating guidelines for RNY if I can't even make it 2 weeks on a weight loss program?

I'm single and I don't like to cook just for me, so was using Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals, with veggies added, for lunch and dinners.  I was eating low fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for breakfast.  Snacks were fruit or reduced fat cheese sticks.  Total calories averaged 1000-1200 a day.  The weight loss was good on this program.

How can I get back on track?  I'm looking for suggestions and encouragement and advice - I've already kicked my butt from here to China and back and am so down on myself.   I don't want to have to go back to my PCP with zero weight lost.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide,
Kathy

DebColCam
on 9/14/12 8:06 pm - Canada
Hi Kathy welcome to the forum! Quit beating yourself up weight loss no matter how you choose to go about it, IS NOT EASY if it was there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic. It's difficult to make lifestyle changes!
I have been at on the weight loss rollercoaster for awhile now and it is work! There is no magic or cure. All I can say is keep trying!
A few suggestions I have are to keep track use a food journal. I use my fitness pal and I log in everything including the occasional ice cream cone.
I just recently added some exercise. I joined curves and been riding my bike a bit.
I set small weightloss goals. Trying to lose 5lbs month of Sept
I read OH regularly and try to share with others. I even read the forums for people seeking weightloss surgery because we all have to deal with the head and emotional stuff.
Don't give up! Keep working at it your worth it!
Deb

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 5:03 am - Canada
Hi Kathy,

I'm excited for you that you will be having the RNY in the future. Where are you having it done?

I'm with Deb on current weight loss plan...baby steps, little goals, and stop beating yourself up. (I'm probably the worst offender of beating myself up...hard to get over that.) My Fitness Pal is a very helpful tool. And make sure you eat from all of your food groups. Weight has been a battle for me since I was 10.

It's hard to prepare meals when cooking for one but the pre-packaged meals are tricky as they are quite high in sodium. How about making a couple of dishes that can be portioned and frozen...you'll know exactly what is going in to them and the sodium will be must healthier. A couple of things I find that freeze well:

- mini meat loaves (made with extra lean ground beef or lean ground chicken and cooked in muffin tin...recipe from Kraft Canada website)

- quinoa salad (the Looneyspoons Collection has a really yummy recipe - Moroccan Rolling Quinoa Salad) - this is super filling and so tasty

- meat pasta sauce (made with extra lean ground beef or lean ground chicken and toss in a package of frozen chopped spinach, red/green/orange/yellow peppers, garlic, crushed tomatoes - no salt added). Make a batch of whole wheat pasta then freeze containers of 1/2 cup pasta with 1 cup sauce.

- breakfast smoothie (Deb really likes this one!): 1-2 cups berries, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup cottage cheese and mix it up in the blender. It's a great filling breakfast. (The dieititian told me yesterday that I should also have a small bowl of oatmeal with this in the morning as I was missing my grains food group at breakfast.).

I hope these suggestions help. You'll get back on track...you can do this! I'm finding this forum very helpful...even if it is just a few of us posting. Check back in tonight to let us know how your day went. Wishing you the best of luck today. (Just get through today...then worry about tomorrow.)

Tammy
DebColCam
on 9/15/12 8:48 am - Canada
Hello again! Hey Tammy just wanted to let you know that I usually have Quaker 100%instant oats with my am shake. Just 1 min in micro and it's done. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and brown sugar splenda and it's yummy! Have a great day all!
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 11:03 am - Canada
Thanks, Deb! Will add that to my menu too!
Kat1313
on 9/16/12 5:12 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Thanks, everyone for the positive suggestions and encouragement.  I'm going to try to find some recipies as suggested that I can make and freeze.  I truly appreciate your help, it's hard to feel alone on this journey.
Thanks,
Kathy
Marselleza
on 1/24/13 5:57 pm

Probably you will not follow my advice, but anyway I want to say that I had the same problem and I used to take phentermine pills for losing weight. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views