anyone here get approved and then say no to wls? have you been able to lose weight?

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/11 1:19 am - Toronto, Canada
 just wondering if anyone was approved for and then refused wls?  How have your weight loss attempts gone since then?  What made you decide against wls?  
DeeAnnM
on 10/24/11 3:40 am

I sort of fit in that category, although I was going to self-pay. I planned to have WLS in TJ Mexico back in May. I had my surgery scheduled, my plain ticket purchased and my vacation from work requested, and then I changed my mind. I just realized that my problem was my eating habits, and WLS would only force a change for a brief time. I would have to learn to change my habits regardless of WLS. I have seen people who have had WLS lose weight then gain a significant amount back because of a lack of real change made in their lives. So, I have done it on my own. Granted, it’s taking me longer than it would have with WLS, but I’m happy with the results. And I think I’m making real, long-lasting changes in my life that will help keep me from gaining back what I’ve lost.

Vyxxin18
on 10/24/11 3:43 am - PA
I was denied...then tried again, lost some weight and was approved. Continued losing weight right up until my surgery date which is when I cancelled my surgery. Continued to lose weight after my surgery date and have lost a total of 90lbs so far in the past 12mos. I will admit, I've had a bit of a stall for the past 4MOS! But I have not regained any of the weight and never will. I'm just not losing ATM. But that'll happen, especially after you lose roughly 1/3 of your body weight  :)  Anyhow, I want to lose another 30-40lbs, that's all  :)  Why did I cancel my surgery? I was approved for R-n-Y. It has many risk factors and you have to make changes to your eating for the rest of your life. Sure, common sense...but you also have to take vitamins and protein shakes...and my surgeon puts her patients (permanently) on an antacid...not a lifestyle I wanted. Then there's all the "normal" side effects of that surgery. When I originally wanted the surgery it was because I was desparate...didn't know HOW to lose weight and couldn't even when I tried. This time, I tried harder...reached down...made lifestyle changes and was successful! The more I lost, the less benefit the surgery had for ME. Best of luck with your weight loss goals!

zimmersdreamer
on 10/24/11 9:33 pm - indianapolis, IN
 i lost my insurance that covered the proceedure. after I had all the appts set. We found out some of my problem was due to an imbalance of hormones, I have PCOS, and I decided I HAD to give workingout one HONEST try, I had to face that I didnt really go often enough to make a difference. I discovered that I LOVE it!! I have lost 50lbs in the past year, BUT have gone from a size 26 to a 14/16 (muscle weighs more than fat but is smaller!) I had a few stalls, expecially with most of my friends that I had met getting the surgery & losing faster/more than I am. 

I watch what I eat, work out 6x a week and if I "fall off the band wagon" and eat too much, I do not beat my self up, I rigure out why and try to do better the rest of the day.

good luck! 

Timothy S.
on 10/27/11 1:29 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Between all the crap I had to go through to try and get the surgery, even though every doctor I went to begged me to get it done and was jumping through hoops to help me. I just couldn't find a shrink to approve me that wasn't a quack. I honestly don't mind talking out my feelings, hell, I know I need to talk to a shrink... But wow... the last two I had were needing therapy themselves! So, with the help of my beautiful wife, we are losing together.
"Check out my High School Diaries 1
                         High School Diaries 2
                         High School Diaries 3
"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King

Layla1926
on 1/23/12 10:33 pm
 I was scheduled for surgery yesterday but canceled on Friday.   I suddenly felt an overwhelming feeling that I should not do it.  Plus I couldn't take having my children watch me go through that.  So I'm giving it another try on my own.  I feel really good and I have not once second guessed my decision :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views