I hate reality TV

ElleBW
on 7/26/11 8:10 am - WA
I thought I had made my mind up about having WLS and have my first appointment set for next week. However, after hearing from a close friend who thinks it's too extreme then watching the Weight Loss Makeover on TV I am having doubts. I have tried so many times and ways to lose the weight I thought I was ready to give up, but am now just frustrated and confused. Can I do it myself??? I have a therapist to talk to, but I wanted to hear from someone who has been "there". Thanks.

Elle
tbl2008
on 7/27/11 1:22 pm - Greenville, NC
I never really considered WLS. Looking back I was qualified for it though! I was 285+ pounds and eating out of control. I went to see a couple different doctors for some guidance on how to get healthy.

It's been a slow process but my health is improving! I stick to a low calorie diet. That way I can eat the foods i want, but not as much as i want. Now that I'm smaller I can move better and workout in the gym. I'm also enjoying yoga classes now. Unless you have a hormone problem losing weight is simple math. Calories in and calories out. I stick to about 1500 calories a day and get my heart rate in the 150's and 160's for about 30-45 per day. The body wants to be a normal size, and will start dropping down if the calories are lowered. It's just my mind and my will power that I work so hard to keep in check! Does that help? I hope so!
285/204/199 starting/current/goal weight
ElleBW
on 7/27/11 2:12 pm - WA
Thanks! I appreciate your input. Keep up the good work!
tbl2008
on 7/28/11 9:18 am - Greenville, NC
I think 90% of losing weight is a mental exercise rather than a physical exercise. That's why these message boards are so important to people like me. Its a way to vent, talk, chat, share, and learn about this journey. Best of luck with however you manage to get there. And you WILL get there!!
chellelynn3
on 7/30/11 4:11 am - san bernardino, CA
do you stick to 1,500 cal every day? even when you exercise, or do you eat your exercise calories?
tbl2008
on 8/1/11 2:06 pm - Greenville, NC
On July 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Pacific Time, chellelynn3 wrote:
do you stick to 1,500 cal every day? even when you exercise, or do you eat your exercise calories?
I try to stick to that number (or a hair less than) regardless if it's a workout day or not.
DeeAnnM
on 7/29/11 6:43 am
I almost had WLS also. That's how I ended up here. But I realized that regardless of the surgery I was going to have to change my eating habits. I've seen people lose a bunch of weight with WLS, then gain it all back because they made no long-term changes to their eating habits. Along those lines, I watched the entire video blog of this girl who had WLS and this video, as well as a couple of her others helped me to realize that surgery alone was not going to do the trick.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not judging you. WLS is still a future option for me. But for now I'm working on changing what and how I eat.  

tbl2008
on 7/29/11 11:43 pm - Greenville, NC
On July 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Pacific Time, DeeAnnM wrote:
I almost had WLS also. That's how I ended up here. But I realized that regardless of the surgery I was going to have to change my eating habits. I've seen people lose a bunch of weight with WLS, then gain it all back because they made no long-term changes to their eating habits. Along those lines, I watched the entire video blog of this girl who had WLS and this video, as well as a couple of her others helped me to realize that surgery alone was not going to do the trick.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not judging you. WLS is still a future option for me. But for now I'm working on changing what and how I eat.  
That is a really great video! I dind'****ch the past couple minutes but she had lots of great food advice! She needs her own show.
zimmersdreamer
on 8/18/11 9:10 pm - indianapolis, IN
 i too almost had WLS, for me.... please read this as I am only saying it was my CASE only... FOR ME WLS was giving up on myself. I was admitting I could not do it. I didnt give weightloss any prior attempts that lasted more than 20 lbs, 40 max and would platue then give up. gain it back and then some... this time, if you can call it a "this time" I have had to reevaluate WHY i wanted to lose weight, was it for a person, situation or was it for ME! I have platued 3 times in the past year, given up 2x and am back on track, am i perfect...NO, am i done trying to live a healthier life...NO. will i give WLS a try if I can not susceed? still NO, again that is because for ME that would be giving up.... 

WLS is a tool, as many post op people will tell you if you do not utilize that tool AND fix the mental issue that got you fat in the first place... you will fail your tool and it will be harder to lose the weight! 

Good luck on your journey and I wish you all the best of luck whatever you decide!!! 

ElleBW
on 8/19/11 4:09 am - WA
Thanks for all the comments. I've realized that I can't do it on my own, I've tried far too many times. My doctor says I would have to workout 4-5 hours a day and restrict calories to make it on my own. I've already changed my eating habits and make better choices now, but still eat too much. I'm going through with the surgery because I know it is a tool and not magic and I will have to work just as hard on that path as well. Nothing is easy but I am allowing myself the benefit of WLS to help me get to where I want to go and I no longer feel like it's taking the easy way out. Nothing easy about it so far.

Elle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 421 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 544 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 741 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views