What is wrong with me?

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/10 11:28 am, edited 10/24/10 11:28 am
I recently posted (although I don't remember in which forum) about the possibility of having hypoglycemia.  Well today I had that weak and shaky feeling before lunch time and I tested my blood sugar and it was 64, which is lower than normal.  

Then later in the evening I went to dinner at a restaurant.  I had 2 small tacos and a cheese enchilada, and a bunch of chips and salsa before that.  I ate until I was full, at the point where if I ate any more I would become uncomfortable.  

After leaving the restaurant, I made a stop for no more than 10 minutes, and then drove home.  When I got home I thought I felt hungry again, but it had been less than an hour since I ate dinner. 

I take psychiatric meds, and I forgot to take them in the morning when I was supposed to, so I took them when I got home from dinner.  I am wondering if missing that dose of my meds caused my body to mess up my hunger signal, or if it was something that I ate or what.  I know this can't be normal.  I almost felt like crying because I didn't know what was wrong with me.

I plan to make another appointment with my doctor tomorrow, and insist on more tests.  When I tried bringing up the issue last time, she kind of brushed it off.  In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

Before I had the low blood sugar at lunch time, I had eaten a big bowl of steel-cut oatmeal with fruit and pecans for breakfast.  Honestly, I don't even know what I should be eating.  I thought whole grains are supposed to be good for you.  I even made sure to eat those nuts so I would get some protein, too.  Should I be cutting way back on carbs in general?  I should probably see a nutritionist as well, although I don't know how to find one.  At this point I am not even trying to lose weight, but that will be the next step.
ZannaCanada
on 10/26/10 11:23 am
I think you're right, that a nutritionist is probably a good place to start. Maybe your primary care practitioner can give you a referral. Otherwise, try your public health unit and see if they know how you might find one.
OnceARunner
on 11/6/10 2:39 pm - Woodbridge, CT
It definitely sounds like you have reactive (aka postprandial) hypoglycemia.  It sucks but is MUCH more manageable than insane hunger... I know because I battled reactive hypo for almost 10 years.  Diet was never terribly effective in managing it, but some very effecitve things for me (#'s 1 & 2) and others (3):

#1 The prescription med, Acarbose (if your doc won't prescribe it, you can easily get it online; while is a prescription med, it is not a controlled substance)

#2 OTC stimluant products (they raise blood sugar); ErgoBurn and Thermorexin are the products I currently use and are 100% effective

#3 Something that I did not find effective (but MANY apparently do according to my trainer/nutritionist): taking a tablespoon of Honey
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/18/10 3:37 am - Mexico
On November 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Pacific Time, OnceARunner wrote:
It definitely sounds like you have reactive (aka postprandial) hypoglycemia.  It sucks but is MUCH more manageable than insane hunger... I know because I battled reactive hypo for almost 10 years.  Diet was never terribly effective in managing it, but some very effecitve things for me (#'s 1 & 2) and others (3):

#1 The prescription med, Acarbose (if your doc won't prescribe it, you can easily get it online; while is a prescription med, it is not a controlled substance)

#2 OTC stimluant products (they raise blood sugar); ErgoBurn and Thermorexin are the products I currently use and are 100% effective

#3 Something that I did not find effective (but MANY apparently do according to my trainer/nutritionist): taking a tablespoon of Honey

Nonono... not honey!  That makes the problem worse in the long run.  It will bring your blood sugar up and spike at the same time.  Then it drops and goes too low and you have low BS again.

Not sugar, not carbs... that makes it worse!  Protein. 

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
OnceARunner
on 12/18/10 4:17 am - Woodbridge, CT
On December 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM Pacific Time, WASaBubbleButt wrote:
On November 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM Pacific Time, OnceARunner wrote:

Nonono... not honey!  That makes the problem worse in the long run.  It will bring your blood sugar up and spike at the same time.  Then it drops and goes too low and you have low BS again.

Not sugar, not carbs... that makes it worse!  Protein. 

I see your point - that is exactly what my reasoning would be - so called "good carbs"/"bad carbs" is all carbs in the end and would have the same kind of effect - i.e. as you mentioned - stabilize (or even elevate)  blood sugar temporarily, only to have it come crashing back down again.

As I said, I did not find the honey to be effective, (but apparently some do), cuz I've heard more the suggestion from more than one trainer/nutritionist.

With that being said, I just started working with a new nutritionist who primarily focuses on the psychological but also hormonal/metabolic reason for hunger and weight gain (slow metabolism, binge-eating, poor blood sugar control, etc.).  It's hard to pin-point any one thing that is control my hunger and blood sugar, but one thing I've found EXTREMELY effective is what I termed the Triple-C  or Triple Threat Health Drink:

A 1:1:1 part combination of Cinnamon, Curry Powder, and Cayenne mixed with water.  Probably the 2nd worst thing I've had in my life; but holy sh*t, this thing stabilizes blood sugar and crushes hunger like nobody's business!!!!!!  Not to mention if you are tired or sleepy, it will wake you the F up, guaranteed! ;-)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views