Diet Pills

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/10 2:43 am
Has anyone had success with diet pills?   The only one I know of is Orlistat (Alli/Xenical), but the side effects scare me.   Are there any others available in the US?
Elsa2569
on 11/2/10 1:21 am
Hi!

I think all pill diets will have these side effects. Personally I have never done one and I prefer to sitck to other ways of dieting. I feel all related to pills is a bit unhealthy, but that is just my simple opinion. I had a friend that tried also a pill diet (don´t remember each, I´ll ask her latter) and she was fine with it. As soon as I find it out I´ll post it. Good luck meanwhile in finding something!
Elsa2569
on 11/2/10 1:23 am
OnceARunner
on 11/6/10 2:44 pm - Woodbridge, CT
Depends what you are trying to accomplish.  "Diet pills" can act in a number of ways; just a few examples -

-suppressing appetite/hunger
-increasing satiety
-speeding up metabolism
-imporving glucose/insulin balance
-decreasing the abosrption of fat and/or carbs

Let's just say, I've tried almost everything I can get my hands on that has: a) shown some promise AND b) has, IMO, an acceptable side effect profile.  With that being said, I have not tried Orlistat, nor it is on my list of things to try.
pengworm3
on 11/9/10 8:41 am - IA
I have tried plenty of diet pills. Everything from over the counter and infomercial crap to prescription pills and the infamous phen-fen. To be perfectly honest with you the only one that ever did a damn thing for me was the phen-fen...go figure.

I took the stuff for two months back when I was 18 and weighed a whopping 160 pounds which I thought was super obese back then. Anyhow the stuff made me never hungry and gave me awesome energy. It wasn't that nasty shaky speedy energy either, I just felt really really peppy and good. I easily dropped over forty pounds on it. Then of course came the news that it could kill us all and that was the end of that.

One of the drugs that was part of that combo is called phentermine and is still available. This stuff truly does nothing for me. Maybe for a day or two I feel a bit speedy and eat a tad bit less but that's as far as it goes. My Mom and I had both tried so many other types of diet pills and nothing ever did anything for us.

Having said that my best friend who is actually only about a size six to begin with has decent success with prescription diet pills. I also have various family members who have done fairly well with the prescription ones like phentermine. The thing is each and everyone of these people gained the weight back after they stopped taking the meds.

The over the counter stuff, even the ones that claim to be natural, often times are not good for you and not safe. Especially if you are obese in the first place these things can put even more stress on your body which it doesn't mean. I would steer clear of anything over the counter for sure.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about trying to talk my doctor into giving me a prescription for phentermine but I can't safely have it with my anti depressants. There have many dark hours where I would've taken just about anything if it would've worked.

In the end though I really think you will probably just be wasting your time and money on any of these. However who knows you may be one of the minority who gets a good start using these types of drugs and then is able to control your eating on your own once you are weaned off of them. I still say though that the side effects just are not worth the minimal help they'd give you. Best of luck to you on your journey!
I'm through accepting limits
Cuz someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try I'll never know
~ Elphaba- Wicked
Sarah1952
on 11/11/10 9:34 am - Shelton, WA
I was given a prescription for phentermine and it does wonders. Takes away the cravings for carbs, etc. I had 90 from March thru August and lost 35 pounds.
_Donna_
on 1/6/11 8:46 am
my primary care doctor tried me on phentermine. I was one of 500 patients on it and I was the only one to GAIN weight. just my luck! I only took them for 60 days because they werent working so why go the full 90 allowed.

As for alli, my surgeon just told me tuesday that the fda is taking it off the market due to liver failure, but i just saw a tv commercial on it so I dont know. I wouldnt take it anyway. I have diarrhea all the time anyway, why take something that is going to make it worse.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 963 views