New to this forum and so lost...warning very long

pengworm3
on 8/3/10 4:17 am - IA
I want to start by saying hello to everyone here. I've been on OH for years on and off now and most recently was thinking about the VSG. However like others have mentioned even in my darkest hours when I feel like it's the only option I have, well it just never really sits right with me. As someone else here mentioned I felt like I could never be at peace with it. I believe that surgery does wonders for many people and who knows maybe someday I may be one of them. For right now though I just can't and don't want to do it for a variety of reasons.

I am a 31 year old married mother of three. I'm five foot one and a half (gotta have that half in there lol) and weight right around 285. I've gotten to the point that I can no longer go into the store and buy plus size clothes because even the largest size doesn't fit anymore. I'm the dreaded apple shape body which is terribly hard to find clothes for as well as terribly unhealthy. After three c-sections my lower stomach is...words cannot describe but you can imagine.

My children are all eight years old and under. I have NO energy to play with them or to clean the house or do anything at all. I see people twice my age out doing things with more energy than I have.

I have battled weight all my life but was never morbidly obese till about ten years ago. I had always been maybe 15 or 20 pounds overweight in my youth and teens. Then at 18 I took phen fen and got down to about 118 pounds I think it was. I felt wonderful and looked even better. Problem was I was also doing drugs and drinking so it was not a good time.

Fast forward a year or so later...I had gotten off the phen fen and held my weight down for a bit. Then I met a wonderful guy and stopped drinking and doing drugs. I started seeing a therapist and working on many of my issues. I also started on a merry go round of antidepressants which finally stopped when I found prozac. Prozac worked wonders for me and I feel gave me my life back. So here I was at a decent weight and with my emotions doing better as well.

Then in about the course of a year I gained over 100 pounds. To this day I don't know what it could have been other than the prozac. I expected that once I was off the phen fen I'd gain weight back. However I only took the drug for two months and lost forty pounds on it. So at about 21 years of age I found myself weighing about 235 pounds and I was devastated. I tried other antidepressants but none worked for me like Prozac.

So I figured I was happy for the first time in my life and just dealt with my weight. Over the course of the next ten years I was pregnant three times and had gestational diabetes each time. Durning these pregnancies I always lost my appetite and really didn't care about food. So because of this it was very easy for me to stick with the diabetic eating plan. I also lost a minimum of forty pounds with each of my pregnacies and sometimes more. Each time as soon as I had the baby it was like a switch flipped in my body and I was ready to eat again. Each time the weight piled back on and then some.

So here I am today at 31 and nearly 300 damn pounds. I'm scared and don't know what to do. I really would like to go to therapy again but simply cannot afford it. I've been trying to read about food addiction and to learn how to change my hateful attitude about food and my body. However none of it seems to be working. At the longest I can manage to do well for about a week and then I start binging again. I feel like I have so far to go that I could never do it. And my greatest fear is actually putting the work into to losing all this weight only to gain it back. I could not take the heartbreak of that again.

My oldest daughter who used to be very thin is starting to get heavy. We don't eat very healthy and I want to change that. There are so many changes to be made that I just don't know where to start. I swore to myself I wouldn't pass on my warped eating habits and body image issues to my children but I already have with my oldest. I feel like if I can get a grip on my family's eating and wellbeing now that I might save her from going through all i've had to. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to put my child on a diet, I just want all of us to be healthier.

I've done every type of diet there is and I don't want to do a diet anymore. Even though I think WW can be great and has worked for me in the past, I just don't want to deal with it. I don't want to count points. What I want for the first time in my life is to just learn to eat normally without counting and pressure and without guilt. I want to sit down the way my husand does and just eat my meal and move on. I don't want to be like my best friend who is a size 2 and still hurts just as much as I do when it comes to the pain of body image and eating. She still goes through hell with it just as much as me. I just don't want that. I want food to be food and that's it.

So how does one start? Hell I just don't know. I've tried babysteps and I've tried big major overhauls. For me nothing has worked. You hear over and over again how bad the statistics are for losing any weight and keeping it off much less over a hundred pounds. Yet I see people who have done it so I know it's possible. Is it possible for me though? Honesty I really don't know but I'm hoping and praying it is.

I look forward to talking with you all here and gaining as much insight as I can. If anyone actually managed to read this whole long babbling thing then I cannot thank you enough!!!

I'm through accepting limits
Cuz someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try I'll never know
~ Elphaba- Wicked
clogginmama_of7
on 8/3/10 5:24 am
Hello, and welcome - yes, I read the whole thing!  I can relate to a lot of it, although not your depression part.  The Lord has blessed me mightily with a wonderful life and for the most part, an "up" personality.  So, I can't help in that way, other than to say even when I do feel sad or down, I really try to think of all I have and am blessed with.  I'm 38 - great health, 7 beautiful kids, a wonderful hubby etc.  Yes, there are days when the weight can really get me down, but I truly don't know anything different - I've NEVER been thin in my life.  All my young pics and everything - FAT.  So, in a way, I'm used to me, but I do need and want to get some weight off.  I know obese people do start having health issues, and my knees do bother me.  I too was on my way to weight loss surgery - my Dr. only does RNY or lap-band.  I definately didn't want RNY so I researched the Lap-band and it scared me - so many complications - even the people who say they've done "good" are always going to the Dr. or throwing up or getting stuck - etc.  As a homeschool mom - NOT AN OPTION AND DIDN'T SOUND GOOD TO ME.  I thought, dang, I'd rather be fat.  I also saw that banders only average 1-2 lbs. a week - a lot of trouble for "slowish" weight loss.  Now I'm telling myself - I CAN DO THIS! I CAN MAKE A FEW LIFE CHANGES AND LOSE A POUND A WEEK.  And, NOT HAVE SURGERY! Anyway, that's my hope and prayer, and I'm just starting - one foot in front of the other! I try to do at least 5 hours of exercise a week and I'm just cutting down my portions.  I find it easiest to use a child's plate - just like my kids.  Then I automatically eat less.  If you see my past posts though, you'll see I haven't had much success doing BOTH things each week.  I do one or the other!  But, it's a start! And I'm not gaining!
I understand about your children - I too didn't want to pass on my eating habits and fatness.  So far, we're doing well.  I do try to have healthy meals, but we do have treats - probably too many, but my kids are very active and healthy.  I think that's a huge KEY - activity.  They are getting and setting a nice high metabolism - something I never did as a kid (very inactive).  My kids can totally eat more than me and they are not fat.  I'm trying to reset my metabolism with more activity - I hope it can be done! :)  I check in and weigh in every Saturday on this forum, so if you'd like, you can check in too.  It's nice to have buddies, and someone who understands.  Okay, so mine is long too and I don't know if it's helpful or not, but here it is! Blessings, Stacy  ps - I've set my weight loss goals small -20-30lbs. at a time.  Otherwise, it's too overwhelming and I know I'd be tempted to give up.  I just try to think - even 1 lb. a week is 52 lb. a year, and I've never done that before!! 

Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.  Philippians 1:6         Stacy in CA
chellelynn3
on 8/5/10 3:40 am - san bernardino, CA
 Im a homeschool mom too! 

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

pengworm3
on 8/3/10 6:40 am - IA
Stacy, thanks so much for your post. As a matter of fact it did help!! I can tell by your post that you were blessed with a naturally optimistic personality and that is wonderful! I think that's a huge part of my problem. I am a very pessimistic worry wart for sure. I feel like since I've never been able to lose for the long term that at 31 I'll never be able to.

Another big thing for me is that my mom died a few years ago at only 46. I watched her struggle all of her life hating herself and her body and food. Many years of my childhood I ate fast food because my mom simply wasn't eating or eating very little. The years she was single I lived off mcdonald's which I loved lol! She worked harder than anyone I've ever known at a horrid factory job that I'm sure would've been shut down today! So back then it with her trying not to eat it was just easier for  her to feed me that way. Looking back I know she really didn' t think of the consequences. She never ever judged me for being a chubby kid and I know for sure she didn't want that for me. I don't think she ever truly realized how bad eating that way was for me even though nowadays it seems ridiculous not to. 

So as I get older the one thing I know for certain is that life is so very short. It breaks my heart to know my mom wasted so many years battling with body and food issues. I don't want to waste anymore of my years doing the same thing. So I tell myself some days that maybe this is just my thing in life. Maybe I was just meant to be fat and do the best I can with it. On days like that I think what a waste it is being so miserable about my weight when I might be this way forever.

Then there are the other types of days when I'm too fat and out of shape to go on a field trip with my daughter, or ride amusement park rides with them or take them swimming. These days hurt so deeply that I almost can't breath. These are the days that I tell myself that refuse to live another second like this.

More often than not though the pain I feel on those days is usually stuffed down by my old stand by which is drive through fast food or something chocolate. Then I feel even worse and there the cycle goes. I just don't know how to break it.

Anyhow thank you for your post. It is very important to me to not get to feeling so sorry for myself. So many people have it so much worse and at least this is a problem I can do something about whereas my mom's cancer was out of her hands.

I think weighing in each week here may be a good idea for me. Lately I have stopped weighing because when I see a gain it would freak me out and cause me to binge for days. I know that staying in the dark about my weight won't make it go away though. So posting my weigh in's here might just help keep me on top of it at leas a little more.
~ Elphaba- Wicked
chellelynn3
on 8/5/10 3:54 am - san bernardino, CA
 Welcome aboard, I also am a 31 year old married mother of 3, and I too was seriously thinking about the VSG! you are not alone, I know this is really hard, but it can be done! and it takes time, so many wonderful changes occur when we decide to change our lives, and a lot of those changes dont come easy, and at times they bring a lot of pain with them, they also bring a lot of joy, and when you are done walking through them, the great thing is that on the other side there is a whole lot more joy and peace to be had! I have been through a lot during my journey to health and weight loss, I have been overweight my whole life, at my highest I was 322 lb's I am 5'8" and I have lost almost 100 lb's so far.  I am willing to help you and show you some good resources if you would like, I understand the anxiety and depression part of this journey as well, I think something that would be a great place for you to start is with CBT (cognitive behavioral therepy) I have a great resource for this if you are interested. feel free to ask me any questions, I know there is hope for you, and I pray that you get to that place, where you can see that there is hope for you as well!
God Bless you!
Michelle     

pengworm3
on 8/5/10 4:58 am - IA
Hi Michelle. Thank you so much for your reply. I agree about the CBT. My oldest daughter has OCD and this type of therapy has worked wonders for her!

It's so cool to talk to someone my age with three kids too! I would absoulutely love to talk and get any information you would be willing to share. As you can see I need help!!! Do you have a way for me to PM you? Let me know and I really look forward to talking to you more!
~ Elphaba- Wicked
chellelynn3
on 8/5/10 5:10 am - san bernardino, CA
 Sure PM me anytime, I requested you as a friend so after you accept it PM, im happy to help in anyway that I can! 

ANEWMii
on 8/5/10 6:53 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hello There and Welcome,
I can relate to a lot of what you posted. It breaks my heart because I know how much it hurts and how much you want things to be different. I had tried every diet known to man and had lost and gained hundreds of pounds in my lifetime. I even became a vegan and exercise freak and lost 100lbs in 8months when I was in my 20's. I of course gained it all back because I couldn't live that lifestyle, it was killing me. I eventually became anorexic and was ordered by my dr to put on weight or she would hospitalize me. I put on weight alright, at my known heaviest ( I stopped weighing myself eventually) I was 273. I was in bad shape. Two days after Christmas 2007, my morbidly obese father suddenly died. At the end of his life, he was so heavy he couldn't do anything for himself. I could see myself heading in the same direction and it scared me. I didn't want my sons to have to be doing everything for me the way we had to for my dad. I wanted a different life. After gaining 20 more pounds. I decided to change. Diets had never worked. I prayed and asked God to help me be different. I made a commitment to myself to make better food choices, watch portion control and move more. I took it at first hour by hour then day by day. Each decision at a time. If I screwed up, I wouldn't beat myself up about it. I would just make a better decision next time. The big difference this time was just that. I decided not to pressure myself, not to beat myself up and to take it slow. It is not a race. I had bought a Wii for my sons for Christmas and also the Wii Fit. I decided to play on that for 15 mins a day for exercise. It was fun. When 15 mins became too easy, I upped my time to 20 and so on. Eventually I was doing 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week. I lost over 124lbs in a little over a year. I have struggled with self-hatred and lack of self-worth most of my life. Losing the weight didn't make that go away, in fact, it brought it all to the surface. When I had lost around 90lbs, I had a nervous breakdown of sorts. I no longer had the fat or the overeating to hide behind. I always knew I was obese because of emotional pain, not because I loved food. I just didn't know how to stop the pain.  I am a woman of faith, I don't know if you are. I'm not trying to preach to you or convert you to anything, I am just telling you my story. I wanted a different life. I knew somewhere inside I wasn't this sad, defeated person who hated herself. I knew this wasn't who God had made me to be. I asked for God to reveal who I really was. I needed to really see myself through His eyes not my own, not through the way this world views me. Over a few really tough months He did just that. He showed me TRUTH. I am not what people have told me I am. I am not a body image or a label. I am who God says I am. That is the truth. It has set me free. I am a different person inside and out. I no longer have a screwed up relationship with food. I used to hate it. Now it is a blessing that is used to fuel my body. It is possible to live a different life. If it is possible for me and others, it is possible for you. I want to encourage you to want more for yourself. You are worth it. This is not who God made you to be. He wants a different life for you too. My biggest advice to you is to take it slow. Little steps, little changes, without putting too much pressure on yourself. If you mess up, no big deal, move on. This is NOT a race. You are changing your life.You have to find a lifestyle you can live with for the rest of your life. It takes time. I believe that most people, if not all, are not obese just becasue they love food. Pain is the real culprit. If we can find the source of that pain and deal with and heal from i,t we can change our bodies for good. PM me if you need to talk or need anything at all. I will be praying for you. God bless you.

Sandi
I'm a whole new Mii! From 273+lbs to 145lbs. and a whole new life!!!
Lost through diet and exercise ( Praise God and thanks Wii Fit! )
Body by God and Dr. Mazaheri!!!!
1st PS 3/30/10 - LBL/Brachio done by the wonderful Dr. Mazaheri
2nd PS 6/1/10 - BL/Thoracoplasty/Full TL of course with Dr. Mazaheri

Thank you God! I will always be grateful for the change you have made in me! All glory is Yours!

BrokenSkittles
on 8/9/10 8:03 am - Pascagoula, MS
Hey hun. I am also new and have a similar story. If you would like to add me, you can pm anytime and talk. I hope you do. I need it as much as you do.

Brenda C.
on 8/10/10 10:25 am
I grew up without Fast Food.  Soda & "junk food" was not allowed in our home.  Guess what?  I was still the fat kid.  I have three older brothers - none of whom grew up fat - same diet, even less exercise than this fat kid.

Some of the weight is medical - you spoke of diabetes.  Much of the weight is bad eating habits.  After "growing up," at age 19, I discovered McDonalds would make a Big Mac just lettuce & cheese (I hate all the other stuff).  Ugh!  In the age of Fast Food, Dashboard Dining, I saw my already fat body turn super morbidly obese.  I don't have diabetes, but I am also ridiculously obese.

I do NOT drink sodas - diet or otherwise.  I allow myself once in a while a Fast Food meal - it is usually Taco Bell Fresco Meal.  I cook from scratch - staying away from "prepared" foods.  It is a tough row to hoe, but if you keep positive, you will become a healthy version of you - without surgery.

Exercise! Exercise! Exercise!  Even if it is just parking your car further from wherever you are going.  Doing my trips up & down stairs in your home (or wherever).  Taking an evening walk to clear your head.  Movement is the key to getting your body working with you - not against you.

I weigh over 400 pounds, but I still swim laps at a local pool three times a week.  I walk at a local park - laps, even when people look at me for being huge.  It is difficult to face the World, but I think hiding out from it would be worse.  I used to play sports, go dancing all the time, I was learning how to waterski (I weighed high 200's) when I destroyed my leg.  The only thing that will keep me in bed is a coma - or death.  I hope I can get my weight into a healthy range, that is why I get out of bed every morning.

Take those children of yours to the park - and PLAY with them.  I did.  I was in the low 300 range when I had a wagon hooked to my bicycle to take them to & from school.  Played soccer with my girls and participated as a volunteer in their classroom.  You may not see a size 2, but you can be healthy at a size 22.

Stop looking at the scale & look at your overall health.  If you decide WLS is for you, that's fine.  If you decide you aren't ready for it (I did, a few years ago), then work on being the healthiest you, possible.

Good luck!  For me, I am finally decided I am going forward with surgery.  Surgery is NOT a cure, just a tool.  If you've never heard of TOPS, it is a non-profit club for supportive weight loss.

Brenda  : )~
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views