Dr. Suggested Alli

w8tin
on 7/1/10 7:37 am
I went to my doctor to talk about WLS options and while he said he would support me he suggested I try Alli first. I debated it but since my husband is anti surgery and was all for the alli I decided to give it a try.
The alli website forum is bad there is not other word for it. I have been lurking here and on the bariatric tv site and I really want the support you see among the WLS groups. I have tried all the diets and the lack of support is part of my issue.
I have to lose at least 100lbs for my health, not it would be good for my health type of need but the, I'm a stroke waiting to happen kind. You would think that would scare me enough but nope.
All the online searches on alli just come up with the side effects. I get I will get the sick stomach if I eat the wrong stuff. The whole point of the WLS to me was that if I binged I would be sick. I know it is drastic but I'm at the drastic point.  I'm not a person who eats junk 24/7 I am a binge eater,,, I will do good for days them a binge so maybe this will help I dunno.
I'm hoping to find support here and maybe make a few friends.
HollyRachel
on 7/1/10 1:28 pm

Hi,

I'm all for "whatever works".   Can I ask why your doctor wants you to try Alli?  You sound like you already know that you binge.  You also sound like you know where your trouble lays.  Why are you hesitant to try this?  We sound a lot a like in a few ways. I also have tons of weight to lose also.   I say give it a try, what do you have to lose??  NOTHING!  Alli might or might not work for you.  But you won't know if you don't try.  I've thought about it myself.  I've been seeing people buy it quite frequently in the stores lately.

Isn't it crazy what goes through our minds when we already know what to do.  We can sabotage our self out of just about anything, or any kind of help.  I say go for it. 

If you ever want to talk..don't hesitate to email.

mwy
on 7/1/10 2:25 pm
The only bad thing I've heard about Alli is the side effects.  Seems to me that if your problem is binging, then I'm thinking that knowing the horrible result of binging will keep you honest so you won't do it.  It may help you to learn how to handle the stress of wanting to binge when you know that you can't. 

Best wishes,

Mary
w8tin
on 7/1/10 10:17 pm
I'm hoping it will act as a barrier to a binge. He suggested it because of other health problelms I have may not work so well with the WLS. The only surgery he felt would be safe for me was the lapband. I guess since I am losing on my own he thought the addition of the alli might be enough to see the result s  I need without surgery.
It is ont that I don't think it won't work or that I don't want to try it. I am just a bit disapointed in finding others who have tried it. Every search comes up with just horror stories of the treatment effects. Well if you work the program right you shouldn't have them.
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/10 2:26 am
I've never taken Alli and I've heard the horror stories - but I think if you do what you're supposed to do you won't have any problems. The bathroom/pant problems are due to eating too much fat. I would think that the day you eat too much fat and have an accident would help you stop eating the junky fat food. I would guess it would give you that quick swift kick in the pants (literally and figuratively) to remind you not to eat poorly? I think that works for some people - will it work for you - well you know yourself best. Will it make you stop and think about what you're putting in your mouth? Will you be able to say - hey I can't eat this because I take alli? If you can do that, then I think it would help you learn new, better habits. And I would be prepared with a change of pants handy just in case the worst happens. It's not the worst thing that can happen.

If you do try it, please come back and let us know how it's working.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views