New here. Was supposed to have VSG yesterday...cancelled it...

bublegirl1
on 6/30/10 4:08 am
RNY on 11/10/14
I was not feeling peace about it at all. It didn't feel like the normal nerves you get before surgery, it's hard to explain. So I cancelled it and the surgeon wants to see me in three months to see how I'm doing and re-evalutate.

I want to try one last time on my own to adapt to a new lifestyle for myself and know FOR SURE I did everything I can on my own before having surgery.  

I hope to make new friends here as I sure could use help and encouragement and would love to be there for others as well.

Good luck to everyone!!

-Amie

clogginmama_of7
on 6/30/10 4:43 am
I too am not having my surgery (Lap-Band).  I am new here too - first post ever!  I am so excited to see right off your post, because I feel EXACTLY the same as you.  I am willing to try again - the Lap-Band especially was going to be sooo much time and work, I thought I'd rather try myself minus the complications.  I will try to post once in awhile, but I have very slooooow dial-up internet, so may not get on all the time.  I look forward to being a friend to you as we start this journey together.  By the way, I'm just going to try the "plate" method - reducing my portions!! Stacy
toniteach
on 6/30/10 7:45 am - Houston, TX
Welcome Ladies!

Don't be shy....please post!  This board is particularily quiet, so the more chatter we have, the better!   (too bad that emoticon is not SMILING!)

I had the LapBand, and wished I never did.  I only lost 7 *initial* pounds on it, and it hurt my family financially.  I had it removed last November, and started dieting in December.  I wish I'd had known then what I know now.  Consider yourselves VERY lucky that you listened to that inner voice. 

Bless you!
chellelynn3
on 6/30/10 8:55 am - san bernardino, CA
 Welcome, glad to have you here!! I was originally going to have the VSG as well, but did not go as far as having it scheduled but like you I did not have peace about it, I really tried to talk myself into it though! I had a referral from my Dr. and everything, but when it was time for me to take the 6 month's mandatory  classes before surgery, I did not go. Instead I chose a different path. It has taken longer but I think I have learned a lot more (and still am) this way. Congrats on the beginning of your journey! please come back and post often!

Michelle    

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/10 9:18 am - Rochester, NY
Welcome to you both!  I too went through everything needed for lap band surgery (nutrition visits, psych eval) but never got as far as scheduling surgery.  Sometimes you just have to trust your gut.

Wishing you well in your weight loss journey....there can be lots of encouragement and support on this board if everyone is posting....sometimes (lately) kind of slow.

Portion control is a really good start!  I'm doing WW for that reason....gives me a guideline plus making my points count for HEALTHY choices.  Increasing activity level helps too!

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/10 11:58 pm
Hi and welcome. I was mid way through the process for RNY but hadn't been scheduled yet. I will say I'm glad I had that sleep study because they found sleep apnea and I loved the sleep I had with my machine but I no longer need it.

I found OH and discovered DS and VSG were options my surgeon didn't offer. Did some research and spent a lot of time on OH reading through older posts to discover a truth that isn't always mentioned. They operate on your digestive tract, not on your head. Problem is there is nothing wrong with your digestive tract and it still doesn't solve the head issues. If you work on the head issues then you don't need surgery. The hard part is the head issues and they don't go away even if you have surgery. I had some psychotherapy to deal with some and the rest was finding the right diet that worked for me. I'm addicted to unhealthy, slider foods that ruin any WLS. I would have done well initially but gained my weight back eating chocolate, chips, ice cream. I also had problems with KFC, steak etc. I've read many helpful books to help me understand that certain foods are a true addiction - self medication. I can't eat this stuff even in moderation because like a crack cocaine addict I'm out of control. I have found peace from completely avoiding this food which has little to no nutrition and replaced it with food that is high nutritious. I'm not unique, probably everyone who posts at OH is addicted so some foods, maybe not the same ones that I have problems with, but anything you have no control over when you eat is addicting. I found healthy replacements for some and others I just don't eat - it's not food for me, can be for someone else, but not for me. I found a whole foods diet that has allowed me to not only shed my weight quickly but also caused significant healthy changes in my body that are unrelated to diet. I will never change what I eat because of the way I feel now. I also started to walk - I went from having trouble getting up out of a chair and only being able to walk a short distance two years ago in August to now walking 5 miles regularly. I've completely changed my lifestyle - the foods I eat, how I prepare them etc. You can do it to - it's hard to get started but make it a new routine - change things around so you're not stuck in the same rut that you always fall back into.

If you can do it without surgery, you will be far healthier for having done so. Surgery truly should be the last resort and there are many things to do before opting for it. Please post any questions or problems you're having, especially when you fall off the wagon and we'll help kick you back on.

I was overwhelmed and embarrassed by how much weight I had to shed and you may feel the same way. Now I can't believe that I'm near the end of my weight loss phase, thinking about maintenance and even planning plastic surgery. I know you can do it too.
bublegirl1
on 7/1/10 4:02 am
RNY on 11/10/14
Thank you all for the nice remarks. I really need the encouragement. I love my surgeon but was discouraged when he said the chances of losing even just 50 lbs and keeping it off for 1-2 years is only 1-2 %! That really got me down.

But I lost 6 pounds doing the three day preop liquid diet. This is now my third day of no more than 1200 calories with mostly lean protein and not much carbs. I gain .5 pound in three days. lol Im like are you serious?!?! But I know I need to give it time for my body to adjust to it after the liquids. Im also trying to drink around 70 oz or so of fluids a day. I downloaded a calorie counter on my blackberry to help me as well. I need to get more serious about walking more as well.

-Amie

clogginmama_of7
on 7/1/10 5:03 am
Yes, thanks for replying to Amie, it helps me as well. I'm so glad to have a newbie partner, Amie!! My nutritionist advised 1200-1600 calories per day, but I obsess if I have to really think and count, so she said I'd do well with the plate method. Child size plate: 1/2 fruit/veg, 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein and use a baby spoon to slow down. I tried it and I like it. Then I can still have a little of what I really want and not feel deprived. Also, nobody will notice if I'm "dieting", so I don't get all the questions. ugh. Look forward to getting to know all of you. Blessings, Stacy in sunny California
bublegirl1
on 7/1/10 5:17 am
RNY on 11/10/14
Stacy I'm from california too! What part are u from? I'm in ventura county. I've done the plate thing in the past and lost some like that too so I think that's a great idea. I'm just trying to get familiar with foods and their contents and then hopefully one day can eyeball it. My nutritionist said to try the 1200 because right now I'm not exercising too aweful much like I should. But did say I could go as high as 1500 if I get more active. I'm so excited to have someone to share this experience with and support eachother!!

-Amie

clogginmama_of7
on 7/3/10 5:34 am
Amie, I'm from Northern California- in the Sierra Foothills. I think my nut said I could go to 1600 calories because I do clog 2 nights a week for 2 hours each, plus performance days - like tomorrow (so maybe just on those days). I do need to exercise on the other days though! I know my kids would love to take a walk - it's just getting my lazy butt out the door. Okay, I think I'm going to weigh-in once a week, wanna be my partner? I need to get a better scale, though, this one jumps all over. But, I'll go with 262 today. Have a great weekend! Blessings, Stacy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views