When motivation lags.

Molly S.
on 6/21/10 6:26 am - Chicago, IL
When Motivation Lags

At some point in your journey toward eating better and becoming more active, it's inevitable that you'll face a lapse in motivation. After all, at the rate of 1 to 2 pounds a week, weight loss can seem like a slow journey. But as the old fable of the tortoise and the hare illustrates, slow and steady wins the race. Week after week, those pounds will add up sooner than you might think! After all, 2 pounds a week is 26 pounds in three months and 52 pounds in six months! In the meantime, try these tips for keeping your eyes on the prize:

•Look for inspiration. Draw motivation by reading inspirational quotes or the biography of someone who faced her weight battle and won.

•Buddy up. Find another person who shares your commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Challenge each other to keep going.

•Write in your journal. Turn to your journal to see how far you've come, remind yourself why you're doing this, and clarify what obstacles might be getting in the way.

•Switch it up. Perhaps boredom is the cause of your slump. If you always walk for exercise, try swimming or biking instead. Experiment with some new healthy recipes. Keep it fresh.

•Try a coach or trainer. These professionals can help you reconnect with your vision and how you'll get there.

•Make a list. Write down all the pros and cons of stopping your weight-loss efforts now. Do you really want to go back to your old habits?

•Shop for new gear. A new pair of shoes or workout outfit might be just what you need to get back in the groove. You deserve it!

•Remember the positive. Think back on all of the compliments you've received as a result of the changes you're making. Write them down so you'll have them to look at the next time your motivation lags.

•Set a new goal. Consider training for an upcoming race, walkathon, or other sports- or fitness-related event.

•Seek support. When you're feeling discouraged, make an extra effort to surround yourself with positive people.

•Use visualization. Reconnect with your goals by visualizing the future you want and what it will take to get there.

Remember, motivation is a feeling that comes and goes. Persistence, not perfection, will get you where you want to go. Don't give up now!

You can find even more nutrition, fitness, behavioral health, and medical tips at
www.dukediet.com

HW 611  Pre-opW 580   LW 302  GW 238         

toniteach
on 6/21/10 11:25 am - Houston, TX
How did you possibly know I needed this so badly???  THANK  YOU, MOLLY!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 12:48 pm
Hi Molly, this is a really good list of ideas for motivation. I know that I switched up my motivation as I went along and found it really helped.
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 12:46 pm - Rochester, NY
Timing is great for me too, Molly!  I only lost .6lb at WW this week and was initially so discouraged.  I'm having a terrible time breaking into the 250's.....haven't been there in about 10 years and I think it must be a setpoint for me and my body is fighting me all the way. 

But then I came to realize that I joined WW on 4/26 and since then have LOST almost 20lb.  Now I could have just as easily gained 10 in that time frame (or probably more).  So I have to realize that I'm on the right path and while every day may not be perfect, I'm going in the right direction. 

My daughter has lost 15lb since joining about 7 weeks ago and my best friend almost 60 now since January....great motivators!!  I've also gone down a pant size and they are getting roomy now too.  I have to keep thinking positively!!  Any healthy choices we make will help us go in the right direction.
Molly S.
on 6/22/10 1:12 pm - Chicago, IL
That is wonderful!!  Keep up the good work!   You will be under 25 sooner than you think!
My trustee 3 P's:
Perseverance
- Never giving up on our health and self.
Patience - unhealthy habits will take time to overcome, so do beat yourself if it takes time and many relapses to overcome them.
Positive - thinking and attitudes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views