Intro

Not One Too Many
on 6/22/10 2:39 am - Canada
Hi guys,

My name is Jen
I was introduced by a friend of mine to this site, and I found the non-surgical forum today.

I weighed 290 at my highest, and made a decision in January (not the first time) to get serious about losing my excess weight.

This time, I decided to join a medical weight mamagement center to be supervised in my journey, but my goal is to avoid surgery if possible.

So far I have lost 21 pounds, and am attending all of my appointments, but I find there is so much time between appointments that it really does curb motivation, expecially when the weight loss slows. There is huge demand in my city for this clinic, so there is a lot of time between appointments.

I am kind of hoping that by finding other people that need to lose in excess of 100lbs that maybe I'll find the motivation and the support I need to stick to it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 12:19 pm
Hi Jen, I didn't have WLS, instead I made huge changes in my diet and lifestyle - permanent ones. I've lost over 170 pounds since I started in November 2008 and I'm actually 17 pounds away from my goal weight. Even as I type this, I have a hard time believing it. I can tell you that it is indeed doable and you can do it too. I also had a couple of very intense and effective sessions with a psychotherapist which I believe made a huge difference.

If you look through some of the older posts you'll find many from Moosie (Ruth) who lost I believe 190 pounds and she has recently finished the last of a series of plastic surgery to get rid of all the excess skin. There had been others since I started coming here who have lost significant amounts. Some of them pop in every once and a while to post.

I hope we can help you find and maintain the motivation. I can't begin to tell you all the things that I can do and the simple pleasures I've enjoyed since I've shed all this weight.

What kind of medical center is this? How are you shedding your weight? Is this something that your regular doctor or perhaps a nurse in the office can help you do by meeting with you more often? What can we do here to help you? You can post questions or start new topics to discuss problems you're having.

You can do it and everyone here can help.
Not One Too Many
on 6/22/10 8:52 pm - Canada
It seems like such a big goal that I have a hard time overcoming it.

The Wharton Medical clinic  is an OHIP covered clinic (thre are so few here) that actually have doctors, bariatric educators, and people who perform additional tests that can support you in fidning out exactly what your metabolism is doing and then tailor a protein and fibre first plan to the caloric setting that you need to lose 1-2 pounds per week. As your body changes, they ammend your plan. Then adhering tothe plan becomes the issue.

They can recommend you for WLS, but they wouldn't even go there or even medications until the diet and excercise stuff is in line. (Which is my preference)

It's set up that you have several main appointments, as well as having spirometry/calorimeter tests done and stress tests on the side. They also have mandatory classes to attend ; subjects being food labelling, meal planning excercise, etc. They also have several classes to do with emotional eating and anxiety. I have attended most classes, but the ones on the emotions I haven't had a chance to get yet (schedule sidelines, a family emergency, and a sick husband in the past few weeks haven't helped in conjunction with knowing that the one teacher that teaches the course is boring as all get out and they run the class once a month- so I get to wait for the next time my schedule suits and the interesting teacher is in,)

They stress a high protein/slightly reduced carbs plan. Works with the medical science azvailable out there today. Obviously if you are on a low carb diet you get crabby- but I haven't noticed that at all. They suggest eating 6 times per day (small meals and snacks and using a fibre supplement to level the blood sugars- where diabetic or not)

They are all about self directed learning. so they have a  recommended reading list:
"You on a diet" (OZ)- I am finding this book excellent for understanding the problem.
"The Cognitive Behavioural Workbook for Weight Management" (Laliberte)- I'll get to this one shortly.
The Hormone Diet (? Sorry don't own this one)

They advocate excercising 3-4 times per week 1/2 hour per day.

As to my family doc, I don't think I'd get much help. I get terrible support from her when I last spoke to her on the matter. Felt like the bigger I got, the less she had time for me, even though I was asking for help.
Infact, to get a doctor's referral to the clinic, I had to approach the walk in clinic doctor that I had been dealing with on an obesity oriented/exarcerbated problem.

My family doctor doesn't have a nurse.

I have been encouraged to call in for cancellations at the WMC clinic; I like the idea, but finding someone who will mind my four small children is very tough on little notice.
So you see my quandry.

I feel like if I can watch someone else who has done it it'll help motivate me in the moments that it's hard, where it doesn't feel worth the effort.

I have seen another big girl lose weight and yo-yo for years.... but that's it..... yo-yoing- I need my solution to be more permanent. I need to see someone actually doing it.

I think that in small snippets of time, I will try to wade through the posts and see what people suggest on those things, and post new topics as well....

Thanks for the warm welcome,

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 1:04 pm - Rochester, NY
Hi Jen....glad you found us!  This board can be slow at times, but lots of good support and encouragement and lots of success stories here (like Skylar) and lots of those of us who are still struggling (like me).

Since this center is so popular....why don't you suggest that they start a weekly/monthly/whatever support group for those who would like to participate?  Or maybe for those who wanted the extra support, if you even started your own email/phone chain type of support or a buddy system?  I think it would be helpful for all of you doing the same type of program.

Are you incorporating any type of exercise program?  Maybe you could find some people within the group that could get together for walks, etc?  Meanwhile, this board comes up with lots of good ideas and I've learned a lot from the struggles and successes of others.
Not One Too Many
on 6/22/10 9:05 pm - Canada
I could ask if they have one, but I suspect that with all of the classes they run, and it being in a medical building, that they likely don't have the building space for additional meetings.

They steer you toward calorie count.com, but I had already found this website via a friend and signed up for it when I had found out what they were suggesting. I found that I liked this one better when I checked it out.. Also, it would be hard to locate the ones from our city, cause it's the web.
So I'll probably stick with this for online resources. Seems easy enough to log in in a moment of weakness and read posts and not have to worry about the poother person being immediately available. I think that regardless of the plan, there are common pitfalls, and I can find the support here as well as anywhere.

Sadly, I don't have the mental capacity for new 'in-person' relationships either. Too much going on.

I have four kids 7 and under right now, and this period of my life does not lend itself well to my going out alot. But My mom has a pool, and I can take the kids swimming at her place to get extra movement. (Very self conscious, so the public pool for waterfit classes is not on the radar as of yet.)

My walking buddy crapped out on me (Flare up with RA) and hasn't gone since.
I don't tend ot like walking at night alone (scheduling thing) and going with four kids during the day seems counter productive.

(Lest it sound like I am blaming my kids for a lack of weight loss, I want to clarify that I simply don't know how to get around it.)

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/10 12:15 pm
Hi again, well I think you are extremely lucky to have that clinic and I'm surprised that OHIP is paying for it knowing they are so stingy. What a wonderful resource ,all those classes. I envy you.  I'm also iimpressed that you have 4 kids under 7 yo - that has got to keep you busy with little time for yourself (((HUGS))) this is hard.

As for exercise, anything that can get you moving will work - and even stuff that you can have the kids participate along with you. I'm thinking of something like those old Dancing to the Oldies tapes from Richard Simmonds - or whatever is similar that you can follow the routine while the kids do whatever kids do when they hear music and start jumping around. We have cable tv and I often listen to the music channels like "hit list" etc. where the music has strong dance beats - just get up and move your arms and legs and everything else. It will be hard to start getting a routine going with the kids, but the rewards is if you keep it up both you and the kids will be healthier for it. Remember kids watch everything you do and they will do as you do and not as you say. Soooooo if you get them dancing to music every day they will grow up with both fond memories of dancing with Mommy and loving to move. I'm sure if you think about it, you will find other ways to get exercise with your kids. I'm like you, I'm not crazy about walking alone at night too.
Not One Too Many
on 6/23/10 8:48 pm - Canada
No doubt, I have access to something that not everyone does..... no small wonder then that so many people and such a long wait list to get in....... I couldn't do it otherwise.

The books really do help me understand what goes on in the body when certain foods are ingested for sure and helps me understand the 'why' behind the 'what I'm doing'.
I've learned a lot through them.

Another thing I like to do is to use the wii fit.
I turn it on and go to the free step for half an hour. Then I choose to switch over to the a tv show and do the stepping while I am watching.

I am working to get the nine month old on a more useable schedule, so I can do this predictably in the evenings. Certainly it's  good option for the winter. And, down the road, I'd like to buy the riser for it to challenge myself. But for now it's enough.
bublegirl1
on 6/30/10 4:14 am
RNY on 11/10/14
Hi Jen. I am new to this board too. Was supposed to have WLS yesterday but cancelled it because I wasn't feeling at peace with it. I wanna give it another go on my own first. Everyone on the surgery boards were so helpful to me so I wanna stay here on this site. Everyone is so nice.

Exercise is my big thing too. I really need to just get moving! I downloaded an application on my blackberry to help me track calories, protein, fat, carbs, etc and so far I love it! I would love to be friends and support each other! Good luck!

-Amie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views