Help!

cpinck
on 6/21/10 2:46 am - Henderson, KY
Hi everyone,

I had the RNY about 4 years ago. I lost about 100 lbs. after 6 months but then it stopped and I started gaining weight. I have gained all but about 40 lbs. I was thinking about having a revision but with the type of revision I need, the closest surgeon is 12 hours from me. I'm thinking about trying AGAIN a diet and getting a personal trainer. I have a high stress job and don't have a whole lot of energy when I get off work. Can anyone give me some advice on what works for you where you aren't cooking all the time?
Molly S.
on 6/21/10 6:39 am - Chicago, IL
Hi,

I know your pain.  1st start by looking at the positives.  You have kept off 40 percent of your weight.  You stopped before you gained back all of it.  This is a plus. 

Secondly, stop beating yourself up about weight gain.  What is done is done.  It is what it is. 

Thirdly,  You can and will get on track if you believe in yourself. 

I decided not to have revision at my surgeons recommendation.  I am currently working on head issues because the surgery can not fix stress, and our thinking, etc. 

Keep in mind weight loss is going to be slower this time around.  I started back posting to OH.com in early March and I have lost 20 pounds so far.  20 of 80 pounds I gained back.  Hang in there and KIT.

HW 611  Pre-opW 580   LW 302  GW 238         

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 7:35 am
(((HUGS))) I can't imagine what it's like to have had the RNY, go on the wild roller coaster ride and then gain a lot of it back but I know it's a painful experience.

Molly is so right in what she posted - start over today and don't knock yourself down for what has happened in the past. You can shed the weight without have revision surgery - yes surgery does help, no question, but it's riskier and as you know, more expensive and not close to home.

I recognized in myself that I was addicted to many unhealthy foods - ice cream, chocolate, cookies etc. and I was out of control when I was near them - I can't eat one and say it was good and leave the rest. I found it helped to read a book by Dr. Kessler called The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite to see how these foods are designed by food scientists to be addicting. I'm currently reading Dr. Barnard's book Breaking the Food Seduction which also addresses this issue. I just can't eat this food - there is nothing healthy about it and it takes the place of healthy low calorie food in my diet. It was hard to give up this stuff at first but now I don't miss it and seeing ads on TV or displays in the grocery store don't bother me anymore. I see it as food that maybe some others can eat, but it's not food for me. These are the typical slider foods which can get you into trouble no matter what WLS you have. I don't know if that is your problem - eating junk slider foods - but if it is, you'll find it extremely helpful to just not eat them - not even a taste or a single serving because it will bring back the addiction.

In the last week for some reason, maybe the summer heat?, DH and I have become very lazy when it comes to meals so the simpler the better. I'm using the microwave to quickly heat up our starchy veggies and making lots of salads where we just throw in pre-cut bagged veggies into the bowl. I'm just not in the mood to stand over the stove for any length of time stirring stuff, making sauces, sauteing etc. The plus is the simpler the meal, I find I eat less. Also the less variety you have in a meal, the less you eat.
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/10 12:55 pm - Rochester, NY
Glad to have you join us....we've been slow lately.

I think it's wonderful that you have decided to dig in and tackle this problem before you gained all of your weight back.  You know how easily that can happen!

I have one favorite standby for dinner.  Now that it's summer, I like to marinate chicken breasts or chicken tenders in some FF Italian salad dressing and grill a whole slew of them at once (or if you don't have access to a grill, saute in some FF chicken broth).  Then I put a couple each in ziplock freezer bags and have them handy to slice and put over a great big salad.  They're good to take in your lunch too frozen cause they will thaw by lunch time and be ready to eat.  I love a great big salad in the summer and could eat it every night.  (Sorry....just realized you had the WLS and this may not work for you...not too familiar with your dietary restrictions)

Good luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views