I would never have guessed this would happen

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/10 12:09 pm

This weekend I went to an Arts festival and I was remembering that last year I went with DH and DD#2. I remembered last year I had shed enough weight and had gained enough strength to actually walk through the whole festival which must have meant 3 miles - although I did have to sit twice. I do remember I was on a diet because I didn't eat any of that incredible food - you know, deep fried candy bars etc. and I passed up my favorite which is funnel cake. There was a vague memory of feeling good about the whole thing except that I was too large to fit into any of the clothes that they sell - things like hand loomed wool sweaters and hand quilted jackets etc. I don't wear that kind of clothes - but just the thought that if I should see anything that was so special that I wanted to buy made me sad to think that I was too fat for it.

Well this weekend we went back to this arts festival and I was thrilled - I could fit into all those hand made artistic clothes now so that's another limitation removed, not too important since this kind of stuff isn't my style but it was satisfying to see the difference. So then I was wondering what did I weight last year when I went. I didn't always keep records of my weight and only started partway through the process. In fact I don't know my actually highest weight - I've completely blanked that out of my mind permanently because it was so painful to hear. And I didn't know when I had started to keep records.

Well I went to my excel sheet where I keep my records and guess what - that was the day I started my weight records - and the next day was exactly one year to when I last was at the festival and I could see that from that date I have lost 100 pounds. And for a bonus I had written about how I felt last year going to the festival. I wrote that I was thrilled to see that I was able to walk as far and as fast as DH and DD#2. I cried, it was so wonderful to see this - and for many reasons. This is primarily for my daily weight I also use it as a diary. I have found it so helpful to review it from time to time. I've seen how my weight goes a little up and down on a regular basis so I don't worry if I'm up a pound or two because I know it will go back down again. I've also seen the effects of sodium and of course eating too many calories, going on vacation etc. It has also been a source of comfort when the weight is coming off slowly to go back and see other times when it came off slowly too but it still added up over time to a great loss.

I know not everyone is going to record their weights for many reasons, but if you're not certain I highly recommend it.

Do you keep records? Do you find them useful?

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/10 9:49 pm - Rochester, NY

Wow, Skylar...how neat to have those records and even more so the feelings of that 100lb weight loss recorded!  I think it's very important to have some kind of accountability.  I have kept a diary of my weight (loss and gains) on a sporadic basis over the years and it's always interesting to me to look back and see "how much did I weigh last year when I went on this vacation" and similar instances.

I weigh daily....actually twice daily (right before bed and first thing in the morning) and have for the past couple of months been recording it on the daily weigh in thread on Low Carb Friends.  It has really helped me stay accountable to myself and has stopped me several times when I would normally snack at nigh****ching TV, knowing that weight had to be recorded the next morning and not just once/week at my WW weigh-in.  It also has helped me realize how my body reacts to the unhealthy carbs and salt....I'm wickedly fluid retentive and have had a couple of episodes of A-fib recently when losing large amounts of fluid all at once (whoosh).  I am learning amazing things about my body and feel that I'm really taking baby steps all in the right direction toward accomplishing my goals.

Next goal....getting into some kind of exercise routine. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/10 12:55 pm
Hi Sherrie - yes I'm so glad I'm recording my weight now and I don't know why I was scared to do it before. I think I was afraid that if I fell off the wagon having concrete evidence in a weight record would be so embarrassing which is silly because it's only a personal record whereas everyone who looks at you can tell if you fell off the wagon and gained weight.

Wow, you went into A-fib from losing a large amount of fluid - that's scary. I'm sad to find out I'm very sensitive to salt too althought clearly not as bad as you. That sucks.

Have you thought about walking as your exercise? It's easy to just go somewhere, like the mall and walking around and eventually build up the amount of time and speed that you spend.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/10 8:57 am - Rochester, NY
Oh, if only I could walk!  Bone on bone on my right knee and need to get this weight off before my doc will do a total knee replacement.  Water aerobics and bike is about it for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 964 views